Go Strategies

I think you guys should really read the posts the moderators like @Vsotvep, the posts they create are very useful!

2 Likes

What about always think hard before you make a move :grinning:

5 Likes

That worked for me on numerous occasions.

4 Likes

Me too

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

What about, always think hard before you make a post on the forums? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Ha Ha! That’s funny!

2 Likes

Ha ha

You can try Got Stats? It’s useful!

2 Likes

Almost nothing in this thread deals with go strategies.

1 Like

His last post was only off by a letter, though. Got Strats…?

2 Likes

It’s called tenuki

2 Likes

To address the lack of strategies in this topic, here’s some strategies:

• Large moyo strategy: Build a large territorial framework. Your stones are very thin. This induces your opponent to invade. When they do, attack their invading stones to make territory. Requires good fighting skills to ensure you end up with decent territory. If they don’t invade, consolidate your moyo into territory.

• Territorial strategy: Play secure corner enclosures and side extensions to take the balance of territory early. But beware, your opponent will probably take the balance of power early, so you may have to pull off a tough invasion to stay ahead. Works well in no Komi games (i.e. one stone handicap).

• Thick strategy: Play solid influential positions. Wait and watch for any weakness in your opponent’s shape, and then attack, using your thickness to assist.

• Fast and loose: Spread stones and build positions all over the board. Treat stones lightly. Tenuki often. Then cut and connect. Works well in high handicap games as white, but can also be made to work in even games if it suits your style (fighty).

Does anyone have any comments on the above? Or any more to add? Or any examples of the above with diagrams?

2 Likes

Amashi:

2 Likes

Build a moyo as large as possible. Because it’s too large your opponent need to invade. Attack the invader not to kill him but to

• cash some points as part of your moyo.
  • generate some new thickness which you use to make more damage into your opponent own sphere of influence. This is the main point, you will damage him more as what he damaged you.
1 Like

Korean sdk strategy
Deny any base, extension, easyness to your opponent. Run to the center. It’s all overplay but whatever, survive and wait the weak move of your opponent which will reverse the game in your favor.
In that perspective building influence from the start is not in your repertory.

Japanese sdk strategy
Play honte. Play shy and thick. Play honte. Chosing Influence from the start is welcome. Then dissecate, pierce and steal a huge bag of points from early yose.

Chinese sdk strategy
Fight fight and fight. In a bit more reasonable way as the Korean strategy, but at any opportunity to cut with some future, cut. Multiply the quantities of groups, the miai connections, the ko fights…
To be enjoyable a game should have at least one wonderful tesuji. Or hamete.

I wrote sdk because these strategies tend to vanish at higher levels.

3 Likes

I think saying that they require good fighting skills about each individual one is excessive. They all require good fighting skill. There’s no strategy in go that avoids fighting because it’s not up to you alone to decide whether or not there will be fights.

1 Like

You always have to make two eyes if you want to live

Playing in the big open areas is the most beneficial in Go. The biggest areas on the board are the corners, then the sides, and the centre last. Corners and sides require the least amount of moves to surround.

1 Like

Being serious though. Tengen is not too bad of a starting move actually. It controls a lot of ladders. A decent move, especially if you are black.