Go videos

Laura Croft Go-Raider

2 Likes
10 Likes

Another old one. Back from before I even started to play. So it’s new to me.

5 Likes

Good way to show inner feelings of players during the game. Doesn’t this look better as go advertisement compared to “Play more go!” ones?

10 Likes

I think this one is about inner feelings too. Unfortunately is not translated. I mean is translated from German in Coreean, which is the worse than untranslated.

4 Likes

Oof. Too much pathos for my liking.

Since I was asked what the picture is about, here comes a short summary.
As a German native speaker with no idea of Korean I had to rely on the German subtitles of K’s thoughts. I had the suspicion that sometimes he / she was mixed (son / daughter) and that the subtitle translation as a whole wasn’t too reliable.

Abstract:
A young German (G) and an older Korean (K) professional player have a game of Go. Not a single word is spoken between the two for the whole film. Just their thoughts are verbalised from the off. During the game both players think about the game (obvious) and aspects of their lives and parallels between their lifes and the actual game they are playing. The German guy starts confident, the Korean guy with a lot of self doubts. In the end K got his self confidence back. G makes the decision to become a professional Go player in Korea and hopes K would teach him while K ponders about the endurance and fighting spirit of G and thinks that he could become G’s Go teacher.

Minutes - Chapter

01 to 13 - Opening
Thoughts of the two players about the developing game.
K thinks that the online playing leads the different playing styles to adjust to each other.
G starts to think he can win and be a Korean professional.
Korean guy ponders about how strong is opponent is and that he needs some good ideas to beat his opponent.

14 to 27- Start of the battle
Both players ponder about the invasion in the top right corner and the other battle grounds.
G starts to have some doubts but keeps on thinking that offence will bring him victory.
K is getting more confident and thinks defensively.
At the end of the chapter with white’s move in the middle, G is really doubtful and K is confident.

28 to 40: Haengma
K thinks about his daughter who stopped playing Go after his divorce. Go doesn’t mean anything to him anymore after his daugher stopped playing. He thinks it is all his fault.
G knows he has to run with his group. In opposition to K’s thoughts he thinks that K never makes any mistakes.
While G keeps on thinking solely about the game before him, K philosophes about Ying and Yang, battles and peace, destiny, etc and draws conclusions about parallels between Go and life.

41 to 57: Fight for victory
Both players think about the game, where to profit, where to defend, where to connect, etc.
K is getting more and more confident, G more and more doubtful.
G wishes he could become a pro in Korea and would even neglect college for it.
G starts to think about his former female Go teacher who went back to Korea some when in the past and he makes plans to go to Korea, study Go there and meet her again.

58 to end: End game
The game is culminating and both ponder about who will win. G sees his territory dwindle, K gets more confident with every move and starts to think, that he isn’t that old yet and can get back to his former strength and his wife.
K distances himself more and more from his former obsession with Go.
G comes to the conclusion that he wants to become a professional Go player in Korea, K notices G’s toughness in this game and ponders about teaching G in Korea.
K wins by 2.5 points.

P.S.: While watching I loathed the underlying music all the time. :wink:

9 Likes
1 Like

Psst. Want some NHK videos?

Ke Jie slapped himself in byo-yomi, at 6:6:30
You can also see professional way of picking up captured stones at 6:02:00

Edit: times got messed up for some reason

3 Likes

I’d rather play with PJ. Ke Jie seems like such an annoying opponent.

1 Like

Russian news video about opening a local go federation branch in Yakutia.

1 Like
2 Likes

https://vk.com/video-142932305_456239052

1 Like

@kurtkafka, may I copy your summary for a post of the video to the FB Go group? (of course with credits to you)

Or even better—would you pls post it there?

<edit>
Just now I see the movie has already been posted there … if you use FB it would be awesome if you’d put your summary in a comment there … if you don’t want to do it yourself, may I then do so? (again, of course, with credits)
</edit>

2 Likes

Nice.

computing great moves - easy
placing real stones on a real board - easy
grabbing stones out of a real bowl - just too hard!

:joy:

4 Likes

Just wait a little longer, soon they’ll be throwing their stones on the board:

5 Likes

Go club experience

https://vk.com/video3760765_456239041

2 Likes