Go videos

Yes, and it’s still one of the largest international tournaments.

And used in one of the woman’s league and title tournament in Taiwan

2 Likes

The unique Ing’s overtime rules cost Ichiriki two games…

And Michael Redmond made a live commentary for the second game, if players want to hear English commentaries.

3 Likes

Sorry can’t watch but thanks anyway. Do you know well Taiwan? If so, are clubs using Ing rules (and materials) too?
I checked info on Ing cup (and this special overtime rule too) I m amazed it still exists and they find the sponsorship.
So we are in fact soon into the final game this year.

I kind of wish I caught Michael Redmonds commentary live :slight_smile:

I need to keep a closer eye on the channel.

It’s handy to see the Nihon Kiin videos linked too :slight_smile:

And you have to pay komi for overtime is quite a mad idea for a time setting! I heard M.R. mention that early in the commentary with wikipedia saying

The competition has its own rules and an 8-point komi. The time allotment is 3.5 hours for each player, while players are available to buy an extra 35 minutes for an additional 2-point komi a maximum of three times.

This year’s Ing cup makes the time allotment even harsher. 3 hours main time, and 2 points komi for only extra 20 mins. Players accustomed to byoyomi would have serious trouble with this.

1 Like

Ing cup is only held every 4 years, and they have their own foundation backed by their own corporations, so sponsorship is probably not a problem. (Like LG and Samsung cups backed by their own corporations).

As for using Ing’s rule for regular games, I would say no, not used often. But it depends on the clubs and players. Some major tournaments in Taiwan used Japanese rules, since lots of players and teachers went to Japan and back. But some used area scoring of various kind (very close but not strictly Chinese rules), for tournaments involved armature players.

2 Likes

Redmond posted this on his channel yesterday.

3 Likes

More from M Redmond 9p, commentary of today’s LG cup final

3 Likes

Speaking of

LIVE NOW :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From Michael Redmond’s channel.

I notice that Discourse doesn’t display the channel name in the embed any more.

3 Likes

Hot off the Redmond channel!

For comparison, here is Yeonwoo’s review of the same game.

(note the classic English tense mistake: either “This game made Ke Jie cry or “Ke Jie cried because of this game” are needed here – ‘made’ can be seen to ‘carry the tense’)

3 Likes

Hope people don’t mind the occasional self promotion in this thread :slight_smile:

I played a fun handicap game against KataGo-Strong here on OGS today:

(I know the video is super long, I’m also planning to make a shorter review of the game in a few days, for those that don’t have 3 hours to spare :stuck_out_tongue: )

Edit: Review video done!

5 Likes

Short videos about board making.

10 Likes

Feel free to pair with

4 Likes

The previous 22 episodes can be found at [3-9dan project] #1 let's avoid ai players and reach 9dan as soon as possible! first game on fox - YouTube

It’s a very typical Fox semiblitz Twitch-rip series.

1 Like

Antti Tormanen Interview with Nihon Kiin

5 Likes

I just watched this Nick Sibicky game review that he made in 2018.

I found it the most interesting of all his game reviews that I’ve seen so far, which isn’t surprising as it features one of my favourite players, Honinbo Jowa, several of whose games I’ve reviewed myself.

The game under discussion here is Jowa – Genjo 1818. It doesn’t seem to be in Waltheri, so I don’t know where Nick Sibicky found it. Perhaps on GoGoD.

The game takes place quite early in Jowa’s career, at a time when he was ranked at five dan (he was promoted the next year). In 1827 he became seven dan and the head of the Honinbo house after Genjo’s retirement; he was awarded the title of jun-meijin (“half-meijin”) the following year, and Meijin proper in 1831. He was long regarded as a kisei (“Go saint”) alongside Dosaku, before being replaced by Shusaku in the early 20th Century.

Honinbo Genjo, on the other hand, at the time of this game had already been jun-meijin since 1814. However, Genjo never managed to take the full Meijin title. He is categorised as one of the Four Sages, four outstanding players of the 19th Century who never attained the highest rank.

The other three of these sages were Genjo’s rival Yasui Chitoku, Jowa’s second successor Shuwa, and Shuwa’s own rival Inoue Genan Inseki. Note that Shusaku’s status as a kisei precludes his inclusion in this group. In my opinion, the strongest of the four was Shuwa, who was probably also stronger than Jowa when the two are compared in their primes.

Note that Nick consistently mispronounces Jowa’s name, which if anglicised should rhyme with rower, mower, lower etc. Romaji w doesn’t alter the quality of vowels, at least not in that way. Americans should note, of course, that non-rhotic examples like boa, moa, and Goa are a better guide.

For more Jowa, see Honinbo Jowa 6P vs Inoue Genan Inseki 5P 1821-11-17 Castle Game - YouTube on Michael Redmond’s channel. That is just a board playout, though, with no commentary.

4 Likes

1818-04-27a.sgf (1.5 KB)

I think this looks like the game from GoGoD/SmartGo

2 Likes

This is an amateur game from 1918, but the players feel like OGS mid-dans~

2 Likes

@shinuito Indeed, I heard Nick say he uses SmartGo.

Nick Sibicky on Fujisawa Shuko, 2013 Nick Sibicky Go Lecture #38 - Fujisawa Shuko - YouTube
Nick Sibicky on Fujisawa Shuko, 2018 Nick Sibicky Go Lecture #285 - Fujisawa - YouTube

I guess it’s another couple of years until the next one.

1 Like