Go videos

I think you’ll find the answer in Wipe goban: tournament's etiquette?

S_Alexander: Looks like generally it’s challenger’s job and they have to come early to do it, holder usually comes second.

2 Likes

The new jubango game between Stephanie and Ryan Li is out Epic Battle Game 8: Stephanie vs Ryan - YouTube

I see there is another “top 10 players” video, out this year: Top 10 Best Go Players Ranking (1956 - 2020) - YouTube

An interview with Cho Hun-hyun, in case it wasn’t posted before: An interview with Cho Hunhyun, author of 'Go with the Flow' - YouTube

Hanayeol is making a new Q&A series (?): QnA - endgame - YouTube, QnA - josekies - YouTube

4 Likes

Redmond has two new reviews out:

3 Likes

Hot off the press:, from Redmond’s channel

I imagine @tonybe would be interested in comparing didactic techniques~

3 Likes

Note that Ke Jie plays his move, presses the clock and then removes the stones.

I think I was once told that in the British rules one is meant to remove all the stones before pressing the clock… the distinction, I suppose is whether the act of removing the stones should be considered part of the move.

I wouldn’t have thought so – removing the stones ia rather the consequence of the move. It’s a manual action, whereas the move is the outcome of the period of thought that the time is allotted for.

1 Like

Some professional 13x13

1 Like

It probably doesn’t matter when it’s like one stone, and you’re not under time pressure.

Now imagine instead 30s byo-yomi, you need a couple of seconds to process/read opponents move and then need to remove ~10-15 stones or something like that. Then it really matters :slight_smile:

I think I was also told one could pause the clock for large captures like that (IGA not BGA), although I don’t really know how to one some of the ing type clocks I’ve used.

2 Likes

Well someone has to post the actual video!

Also Yeonkaru’s hair is legendary.

4 Likes

I couldn’t find the actual video :slight_smile: I didn’t think of it being on a separate/new channel :smiley:

Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

Redmond commentary stream from a few days ago.

Yoonyoung and Nick Sibicky have also made two or three new videos each, but none that really look interesting enough to post.

4 Likes

Has anyone else found Nick Sibicky’s videos a little too bot-oriented lately?

He seems to have stopped actually explaining his or his opponent’s moves in genuine terms (slow, overconcentrated, wrong direction, passive etc.) and now just says “this was the top AI move, which made me feel warm and fuzzy” and “the bot didn’t like what my opponent played, he hadn’t been keeping up with the latest computer trends”.

I’m not sure he realises that one could watch an SDK give that level of commentary, and that people watch his videos to see him provide insight from his own mind, not from KataGo.

4 Likes

I think he felt warm and fuzzy because AI validated the move, not because of the move.

4 Likes

Where’s the Go in this video?

I think it’s fine. Yes he uses a lot of engine analysis in the video but he does switch it off to explain his own thoughts too. I think he found a good balance.

1 Like

Ryan Li put out a new vid of his Redemption Arc - at about 20:19 he briefly talks about common errors in go, which reminded me a lot of another short clip with Ben Finegold on why people aren’t good at chess (pardon me my fellow go afficionados):

(Often I don’t like Edgelord Finegold’s way of talking about weaker players but he happens to have nailed these points down very well imo :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

3 Likes

go by cctv

Basically in Chinese but a big part in French with Pierre. (He appears at different times, just scroll a bit). Pierre is someone to discover if you didn’t yet.
there is a long description in Japanese about go material and building it.

it’s bit emotional to me as I didn’t see Pierre since decades and I was very surprised to find him in this video

Best connecting shape out of narabi, tobi, kosumi and keima. The result isn’t surprising.

1 Like
2 Likes

I almost never watch Arirang TV news, but this showed up.
Also, why are the Go trophies the Thing from Addams Family?

3 Likes