Go World News

there will be games for (Japanese) teenagers later

Is Sumire a teenager?

It seems possible that she could be thirteen by oriental age-counting, but idk her date of birth.

The Jena news is on now on twitch if people are interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s important for us to follow how chess people handle cheating. So here.

5 Likes

People are so afraid of cheating that will let that fear ruin their game.

4 Likes

Also, I would have a better idea if I knew that landscape, but it looks like a power play, some influence is involved.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! For me, transparency about the decisions were made and by whom is key. It seems the chess folks agree, even if their organizers also lacked this feature.

2 Likes

Please tell me this is a true story. I don’t want to google it myself and break the illusion.

(I’m a compulsive lip product wearer, I don’t know if this showed up in my Youtube because of “lipbalm” or “chess cheating scandal”)

3 Likes

Wow. Accusing her basically for not believing she can be a good player? Pure sexism, if you ask me.

4 Likes

It seems unfair to disqualify someone while also saying there is no proof and not even admitting to accusing them of cheating. There is an implicit accusation but they don’t want to commit to it and take responsability for it.

That said, I can also understand why they end up doing it like this. If the evidence suggests with 99.5% certainty that they used some type of external assistance, that might justify preventative disqualification but not an accusation of cheating. It’s hard.

3 Likes

Dinershtein says Korean Baduk Association forbid Kim Seong-ryong from live commenting official tournaments on his youtube channel.

2 Likes

At first I thought the actress and was like??? but I guess it’s this one? Rape apology sought from baduk champion

2 Likes

I feel a bit confusing to like your post but that doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate that I got these information you searched for us.
I met Diana before she went to Korea, she’s a very nice person indeed and… A brilliant go player. I am a bit devastated that the go world includes that sort of things happening.

4 Likes

The only thing I can find that is maybe relevant is that in February that guy lost an appeal against Korean Baduk Association. He had sued them or something for loss of income and stuff, following his dismissal after the incident above.

But my Korean is really basic and Google translate is all I have.

I also find something saying that his channel was in a controversy lately for too much use of AI, poor use of AI, something like that, but I can’t find anything more on that.

2 Likes

I watch Diana now and again on Blackie’s stream and commenting this and that.

Certainly a very regrettable incident, but I imagine finally coming forward is at least very cathartic, and I hope that that improves her mental wellbeing going forward.

On the other hand, also, historic rape and sexual abuse accusations can be very murky and due process has to be in place for how the accused party is treated, as witch hunts aren’t great either… it’s good that the “joint statement by fifty women baduk players in support of Koszegi” was published, since we can expect that to help form consensus on this particular issue and especially make things easier for Diana.

Edit: I shouldn’t have said “very murky”. Instead, “difficult to ascertain” was a better phrase.

2 Likes

If South Korea thought it was viable accusations, that has some of the worst laws on the matter…

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about Korean sexual abuse law.

I’m just glad that the issue came to light and can be resolved, and that Diana and the KBA can soon move forward.

It does have to be recognised that 2009 was over a decade ago. If a single accusation is made against someone with that level of time having passed then it can’t automatically be acted on. As I said, it’s good that these other “fifty women baduk players” have raised a supportive opinion.

2 Likes

Indeed, there was an article in the Monde Diplomatique some time ago - afaics women are pushing hard lately to better their situation.

('tis for subs only, but it ain’t very expensive - if I find the printed version I have somewhere I’ll post a pic of the article)

3 Likes

My only reply because I don’t want to OT and honestly I know exactly how this discussion will go in here:

It was acknowledged that statute of limitations had passed. Nothing happened to him.

Also, I would like to see how it would go if it was asked of that French 6d (?) to bring 50 people to support him that that 1k had done something wrong.
Or do we ask 50 people to support someone each time they report a robbery. No? Just that type of crime is “murky”? I wonder why.

P.S. It’s not my fault that the first thing on google for that guy was that he’s apparently a criminal. Maybe he should try not being a criminal, so I would have linked to his Korean Baduk Association page.

2 Likes

Btw 김성룡’s YT channel has nearly 150k subscribers (if I don’t confound him? I don’t speak Korean) - I didn’t realize it was his till rn and was subscribed myself.

1 Like

I read a lot of legislation on the matter following that case. I tried to burn everything out of my brain afterwards, thankfully I don’t remember much.

2 Likes