Go World News

I thought I responded saying that I like it outdated how it is with the little Sumire picture. It’s funnier imagining that is the girl who is winning all these matches.

Kyo Kagen (Hsu Chia-yuan) made his second successful defense against Yo Seiki (Yu Zhengqi) in the 60th Judan title match. This match is best-of-5.

The Pandanet commentary (in Japanese) on the Judan tournament has been published as SGF and HTML.

Game 1 commentary by (SGF)

Game 2 commentary by Murakawa Daisuke (SGF)

More 60th Judan articles from the sponsor Sankei News: 囲碁十段戦 - 産経ニュース

2 Likes

The Female Meijin match between Rina and Sumire begins today / tomorrow, in about eleven hours.

It’ll be streamed here:

5 Likes

Second game is ongoing.

3 Likes

The first round of the Shinjin O (crosstable) finishes today.

From an original 33 (yes, not a typo, for some reason Sumire had to play an extra qualifying game – and was knocked out) players, who became 32, we are to be left with 16.

The remaining competitors are as follows. They’ll be joined by either Muramoto Wataru or Abe Yoshiki.

Player Notability
Ueno Asami current Senko Cup champion
Nyu Eiko 2017 Female Kisei challenger
Terada Shuta starred in a cool Go video
Aoki Hirotaka beat 2021 semifinalist Koyama Kuya in 1st round
Takei Taishin none
Moro Arisa Chiba’s Children’s Meijin rep. 2009-11
Yo Chito on Japan’s 2013 Nongshim Cup team
Otake Yu 2020 and 2021 Okan challenger
Kato Chie none
Tanaka Koyu 2020 quarterfinalist
Sakai Yuki 2021 quarterfinalist
Nishi Takenobu 2021 Wakagoi runner up
Oomote Takuto none
Sakai Kentaro none
Koike Yoshihiro 2019 runner up

Game 1 of the 77th Honinbo title match between Iyama Yuta and Ichiriki Ryo started yesterday. The sponsor Mainichi Newpaper has a special section for this 77th Honinbo title match: 第77期本因坊戦 | 毎日新聞. Move 80 was sealed.

One of the articles mentions the players visiting a monument to the 1st Honinbo, Sansa. I was doing a search and came upon a neat blog showing the grave sites of the Honinbo: 温泉と歴史探訪 本因坊歴代の墓

The blog also shows a picture of the building and plaque where the old Honinbo House used to stand before renters (accidentally?) burnt it down doing teppanyaki tricks.

4 Likes

https://www.usgo.org/news/2022/03/chinese-go-player-gets-one-year-ban-for-using-ai-during-national-competition/

“The Chinese Weiqi Association on March 15 suspended Liu Ruizhi from attending competitions overseas for a year after he violated the “no use of AI” rules when participating in a national chess competition earlier that day.”

chess competition?..

Probably an automatic translation that humans didn’t bother to correct.

1 Like

My guess as well, still it’s AGA, even if the original got it wrong…

The qi in weiqi means chess (and wei, surround)

When the context is clear, the shortened word “chess” may be used and translated, that’s not really a full mistake, more cultural difference. We don’t think go to be part of chess games.

3 Likes

Right, and it’s the same in Japanese. I see the English term “chess” being used for both Go and Shougi collectively and it makes sense. 棋 “ki” is used for both (ie “chess”) and 碁 “go” is used when it’s just Go. This is seen in 棋譜 “kifu” (chess game record), 棋士 “kishi” (pro chess player), and in 棋聖 “kisei” (chess “saint”).

You can also see 碁 “go” used instead of 棋 “ki.” Like “gofu” instead of “kifu” in the famous set of volumes 御城碁譜 “Oshiro Gofu” (Castle Go Records).

Even “Chess” is just a game of “Checkers” – a game played on a checkered board.

3 Likes

When kos get too real, 357 moves

https://home.yikeweiqi.com/#/live/room/89124/0/0

Yeah, it’s recent Honinbou game, maybe @bugcat could tell us what happened there?

3 Likes

That first game of the Honinbo title match was wild. The video stream on the second day 12 hours long, which is the longest I’ve seen by a few hours. I see that the game record was the longest but I also wonder if it was the longest in time given that the players pretty much stopped using their main time around move what, 180? The time wasn’t going down because a move within 60 seconds doesn’t actually count against the main time, it’s counted as “no time.”

By the way, Mainichi newsppaer has provided their commentary (in Japanese) by So Youkoku 9 dan (Su Yaoguo). He is a familiar face. The Nihon Kiin tournament page listed the newspaper commentator as Ogata Masaki, but So introduces himself in the comments and is listed on the page.

HTML commentary: 第77期本因坊戦第1局(盤面・解説付き) | 毎日新聞
SGF commentary: https://ugi.pandanet.co.jp/?key=honinbo-77-1c

1 Like

I believe before the 7th Honinbo title match, the main time used were negotiated between players instead of a set rule (generally around 10 to 13 hours, some even up to 16 hours each, and 3 days game was the norm, even 4 days game existed), where the custom of pause for the upper hand was still somewhat relevant at the time. And Some did pause time due to health issue (like Minoru Kitani), or by an atomic bomb. :woman_shrugging:

Iyama defended the Honinbo title! And he closed it out with 4 straight wins in the 7-game match. I’m actually disappointed to not get more games and live streams, but maybe its better for Iyama and Ichiriki because they are about to start their Gosei title match, which would have been overlapping with the remaining Honinbo title games. Iyama has held the title an unprecedented 11 consecutive (and total) terms. Cho Chikun held it 10 consecutive terms but also held it 2 times before for 12 total. I wonder if Iyama will get to 13.

And he gets more obligatory finger-number photos. I tried to see if there was a word for this in Japanese. I couldn’t find anything in general but I saw a caption on Mainichi saying that Iyama “made ‘11’ with fingers.” I expect to see Iyama make more numbers with fingers. He’s still on top.

Article: 第77期 本因坊戦 | 棋戦 | 囲碁の日本棋院

3 Likes

John Power put out a comprehensive report on Japanese and international Go in the American Go E-Journal. I’ve found that the “Power Report” is the best source of Go news in English.

https://www.usgo.org/news/2022/06/the-power-report-june-news-updates/

As an update to Power’s report, Ueno Asami just won the Aizu Central Hospital women’s Hollyhock Cup against Fujisawa Rina, streamed on YouTube: 【第3局】第9期会津中央病院・女流立葵杯挑戦手合三番勝負 - YouTube

1 Like

The Nagf pro qualifiers seem to be on at the moment.

I think they’re being relayed to KGS for the moment with some ad hoc streams on twitch e.g. baduk club getting set up for coverage

2 Likes

Young Askar defeats Dinerstein. I think there’re mistakes in the relay at the end there.

Don’t expect Dinerstein to lose in endgame!

If anyone is interested in up-and-coming women in Go, there was just a game between two young Japanese players: Nakamura Sumire and Ueno Risa. Sumire has a great record and challenged two of the domestic Japanese women’s titles. Risa is the younger sister of Ueno Asami, a women’s title holder.

Commentary was given by Kobayashi Izumi 7-dan (@cho_kobayashi), who is married to Cho U and is the daughter of Kobayashi Koichi (who married the daughter of Kitani Minoru). Cho U actually joined her on the steam part way through.

My take-away from the match is that Ueno Risa is much stronger than I thought. She parried Sumire’s attacks and played well until, well, I’ll leave spoilers out.

We may be seeing more faces in the list of Women’s title holders soon. Nyu Eiko just won the Senko Cup. She is Michael Redmond’s niece and his only professional student. And then we have Sumire who almost beat Eiko and is on track to win a title soon. But maybe Risa will be right there too. And of course Fujisawa Rina and Ueno Asami aren’t just going to let these players walk right in.

Here is a link to Eiko and Sumire playing the Senko Cup title match: 【決勝】第7回扇興杯女流最強戦【牛栄子四段ー仲邑菫二段】 - YouTube

3 Likes