Go World News

What game is this?

This is of course from today’s Samsung Cup. Park vs Ke Jie.

Looking at the result, maybe Ke Jie should’ve been less hectic after all.

Today’s also a big day for Nakamura Sumire. She was invited as a wildcard, I think, or something. But she got her first win, yay. I’m not sure who is Gueon Hyojin though. The next game will be against Lee Hyungjin. Realistically she probably could take him, why not.

https://twitter.com/asahi_igo/status/1585919319376277504

Note what’s written there. 「年齢制限のない男女競合の世界戦で日本の女性棋士が勝ったのは初めて。」First time a Japanese female player won in an unrestricted by age, mixed sex international championship.

5 Likes

“Mirror go” usually means rotational/central symmetry, whereas “mirror chess” usually means reflexive/axial symmetry.

Here is an exception:

Commentary in English by Michael Redmond 9p:

Byun Sangil cried and lost the game. He was the only player who did not win the championship and was ranked high among all the long-term players. This may be his last chance.

3 Likes

But let’s congratulate Choi Jeong, I’ve never seen a female player in the finals of any Open World Championship, whether it’s Go, chess, Chinese chess

2 Likes

What does this mean?

He is now 25 years old, which is not young for most pros, and this is his second time in the semifinals.
He has to serve for 2 years after that. It is a big blow to be unable to participate in professional competitions for a long time.

1 Like

What a scary reality of professional sports… Suppose he lose. What’s next? Go teacher for younger people? College / university? How do “failed” pros usually proceed?

I don’t know thdetailse. He is still eligible to join in the competition in the future, but he will face more excellent young opponents and it will be more difficult to win.
But his failures are only relative to the best. He is now No. 3 in the world at gorating, but sadly he had not win any title

One can anticipate difficulties because of army serving, but prediction of the future remains a difficult task. Today younger are favourite but that wasn’t always the case.

According to GoPro video he himself said that it felt like it was his last chance.

Anyway. Ueno Asami of course beat her sister but surprisingly softly, only around 10 points difference, no sparks.

Aren’t they lookalikes? Funniest part is that Asami’s bottle is bigger.

Of course today everyone is glued to Samsung finals.

image image

4 Likes

Exhibition matches

Sumire won against Xie Yimin, again. Fujisawa Rina won against Ueno Asami, again. I don’t know the other game.

LOL :laughing:

Shin Jinseo lost a game. I didn’t even watch and someone posts on reddit that he apparently lost. They say game is a masterpiece by Yang Dingxin.

2 Likes

Question: iirc mods run highest AI in pro games played on OGS, do they also run it on pro games relayed?

Huuge mistake by Mutsuura Yuta

Games played by pro accounts are automatically analysed.
Games uploaded to demo boards need to be triggered manually by a mod.

1 Like

I was wondering if mods do so for relayed games.

We don’t get notified, so we probably miss a lot… but whenever Allerleirauh posts in here I try to kick one off :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Around move 200 they play the shortest “thousand-year ko” ever.