Go World News

Not much news but it is go. UEC Cup is underway. Of course, this is more low-level tournament but what else do we have.

I’m hearing that this game might’ve been a no result in the Nongshim Cup

The game might’ve stopped at this point

but then they show a variation afterward I think

I think in Japanese rules the Blacks groups on the bottom would be dead, the outside because it can’t make two eyes, and then the inside double ko seki because the outside dies.

But in Chinese type rules, because of the quadruple ko, there’s maybe some confusion on the status of the groups.

If you don’t enforce full superko rules then you could have repetition to a no result, or passing and the group being alive because it can’t be captured.

I don’t understand the commentating though, so maybe there’ll be another video or something discussing it.

Edits:

I think they did a replay afterward

But apparently because they both used all their time in the first game, the rematch was purely byo-yomi. I’ve read the same kind of thing in the WAGC rules in cases of no result.

5 Likes

There’s some further discussion I believe of the position linked here

and

1 Like

It depends on the ruleset.

It is dead under AGA rules (it uses superko), Japanese 1989 rules (it dies in hypothetical play, the position is very similar to some examples given in the official rules), and Chinese rules “as used in China”, and not “Online western servers Chinese Rules” which use superko instead (not 100% sure about the Chinese case, but the position is an example of the moonshine life principle, and it is very similar to other positions where it has been well recorded that the Chinese Referees actually rule it as dead if claimed by the players instead of looping, thus I am pretty sure it is dead under actual Chinese rules too).

However, it is either seki or voids the game (if the repetition is played) under Korean rules, which are the ones used in that game (Korean rules say “life and dead is judged locally, without ko threats”, so “locally without ko threats” the group cannot be captured. Notice that the double ko seki and the moonshine-life group are adjacent, and that is important. If they were “unrelated”, on the other corner of the board crossing clearly alive groups in the middle, then it would die under Korean rules even if it had the same shape. See Article 10, Item 2: Korean 2016 Rules).

Curiously, it was (probably) also considered a void game under the 1979 Japanese Amateur World Championship Rules, so presumably it was considered void at some point in Japanese rules, if not under modern Japanese rules. See World Amateur Go Championship Rules, the position that says “triple ko [80]; seki is also possible” gives a ruling in the spirit of the Korean rule, and directly against an example given in the 1989 Japanese rules.

Under a long-cycle-rule (like the one used in the computer go olympiad), then it is ruled no result (but the result is consistent: any moonshine-life position is ends up as a draw under that rule, unlike the Korean rule which depends on whether it is local / global moonshine life. See Long cycle rule at Sensei's Library).

Remember that Tengen title match? It’s still going on.

5 Likes

Jonas Welticke beat Stanisław Frejlak and Artem Kachanovskyi.

3 Likes

Signature mirror go too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jonas Welticke destroys the competition.

Original demo board relay

4 Likes

Someone pointed out on reddit. Nakamura Sumire beat Fujisawa Rina (who is like the strongest Japanese female).

With a big kill.

The background is that this is Female Kisei. Sumire becomes the challenger and is going to play Ueno Hammer Asami in 3-game match. Usually it’s end of January to start of February. Do note that it’s fast go (NHK-style 30s per move), it’s not as serious as full-time games. And Fujisawa Rina is unlucky in this format, only once became challenger for Kisei.

The livestream is only available for payment, I think.

In the meantime Ueno Risa beat Cho Kosumi in one of the preliminaries.

And Ida Atsushi got corona.

5 Likes
  • Atsushi !! :sneezing_face:
  • Bless you.
3 Likes

It’s official now: the European Go Congress 2023 will take place in Germany (Leipzig), instead of Ukraine:

7 Likes

I’m embarrassed by the apparent lack of effort from the Dutch pair to dress up in nice matching traditional clothes, or even somewhat nice matching contemporary clothes. Is it from frugality?

Interview with players. Japanese-style: boring questions, boring answers.

Just today I was reading a Pair Go comic book.

3 Likes

40 euros.

The bibliography at the end may interest (free)

1 Like

Would you be comfortable as black here?

3 Likes

No because of his upper left dragon

1 Like

I would call that northwest group a mini-lizard at best, not a dragon.

White also has a weak group in the southeast, and Black has a huge moyo in the south.

Not counting this moyo and the weak groups, the two players’ territories seem about equal.

• If the Black mini-lizard dies but Black’s moyo becomes territory, then Black wins.
  • If the Black mini-lizard survives and Black’s moyo doesn’t become territory, Black probably wins too.

If White kills the Black group in the northwest and survives with the White group in the southeast and completely destroys the Black moyo in the south, then yes, White will win. But that seems relatively unlikely.

(OGS’ ai analysis gives White 70% winrate at that point, though, so apparently the computer disagrees. But 40 moves later, once it’s clear the Black group is alive and White has no compensation, it gives 80% winrate to Black.)

If anyone else was looking forward to Quzhou Lanke Cup with NAGF 1p Kevin Yang, that one (and other major tournaments) seem to be postponed: