Go Zendo

You’re so close! But that doesn’t account for something like this:

2 Likes

I presume this is mentioning what martin called the first line, second line, third/fourth lines earlier and so on?

1 Like

Can I just quote this for when someone gets it right.

3 Likes

Wait why not? The maximum number of black stones in rows / columns is four, and both lines have the same distance, right? And then for white stones it’s analogous.

Edit: To be clear, with maximum I didn’t mean maximum possible, but maximum on this specific board.

One of the white groups is touching the edge I suppose?

I didn’t think it would be :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this be a counterexample?

1 Like

I think I’d like an independent verification, when the creator of the next puzzle says hopefully this one isn’t too difficult :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is exactly how I felt :rofl:

1 Like

You are right yebellz, but you have to admit, that most of the revealed Koans work with this rule.

1 Like

How about we just say it follows this rule, except for a small list of special cases…

1 Like

It’s extremely close, but the number of stones doesn’t mean anything.

Okay, im going to make a (hopefully) really obvious hint on the 9x9 board. Incoming.

You don’t have to. I’m already happy that I got close :smile:

1 Like

Well, at least I’ll have it for later if I need it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m ready to let someone else take over. I wan’t to guess. :joy:

Hopefully a very helpful hint

untitled (4)untitled (5)untitled (6)untitled (7)untitled (9)untitled (10)untitled (11)untitled (12)untitled (13)

untitled (8)imageuntitled (15)untitled (16)untitled (9)

Some of those are repeats/rotations, but hopefully it helps show the pattern.

Question: You said my suggested rule

does not account for this:

grafik

Could you please explain this? Because I think this Koan satisfies the suggested rule, or am I wrong?

I don’t understand what you mean by this:

Besides, the number of stones is irrelevant to the rule.

Counting columns from the left, columns 3 and 5 both have 3 white stones, which is the max per column no? The stones in column 3 touch the edge, distance 0 while the stones in column 5 are one point from the edge?

Am I misreading your rule?

Oh ok, among all columns and rows I would count how many black stones are in this row or column, and subsequently choose all rows and columns that contain the maximal number of black stones. Then those must have the same distance to their nearest edge.