Go Zendo

Wait but I think the rule has something to do with black.

Another hint: swapping the colours will not change whether a koan is good or bad.

1 Like

The will be at least a group every board that has more then three liberties.(silly guess but we need more hints)

Does this rule potentially allow some illegal positions?

I assumed that we were working within the universe set of legal board positions.

So out of the boards I circled

Why are all of them green no matter how we changed it there.

But why are the ones circled there red?

1 Like

Ah, yes, my mistake. Removing any white or black stone from that to make it a legal position will not change that it is red.

1 Like

So if we do the same modifications made in the green ones I suppose it will still be red , right?

I will be ignoring @李建澔2 in this thread until some other players are joining with guesses, this is starting to take up too much of my time.

1 Like

Maybe we should establish some rules about submitting Koans or guessing rules. The original game has rules along those lines, right?

1 Like

Yes, I think something like:

• one person needs to wait for other people to join in before requesting a new koan,
  • guessing a rule is always allowed,
  • guessing a rule that all green koans satisfy (or a rule that all red koans don’t satisfy) is always allowed, so that sub- and supersets of the rule can be established.

Probably exceptions could be made for one person guessing very similar koans, such as koans with just one stone different.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s very fair to ignore a player just because they’re more active than others.

I’ve found @李建澔2’s submissions to be helpful. If it’s taking too much time perhaps it’s better to just check in when you have time to go through everything.

2 Likes

I’m fine with answering koans, and the submissions are useful, but I felt I was just communicating with one player here. It’s a game for everyone, after all, and I would like to give others the option to join.

Besides that, I have the feeling that answering 李建澔2’s koans would never stop, and that I would be colouring boards for the next few hours, but that might just be me.
It’s better to think deeply for a while, come up with a sensible guess, and test that. It feels most respectful to everyone’s time.

1 Like

I agree with your proposed rules for the most part, but don’t you think that the Master has more work when someone guesses a rule, than when someone submits a koan? I would suggest the following:

1.) Players may not submit Koans twice in a row (i.e. they have to wait for another person to submit a Koan or guess a rule)

2.) After a player submits a Koan, the Master may grant this player a guessing stone (this could be signaled by a “Like” on the post). Guessing stones may be expended in order to guess the rule.

1 Like

I agree, but it is a lot harder to come up with a rule than to submit a koan (and it becomes harder and harder when the number of koans increases). Also, disproving a rule is more fun for the Master as well.

I’d much rather answer 10 rules than 10 koans. Moreover the rules give a lot more information than the koans do.

2 Likes

Fair enough. From now on I will play assuming these rules are established.

1 Like

Good news:I have to sleep soon then when I wake up it is almost school (well it is Saturday but I still have a lesson on Saturday.

So you are saying we should guess rules now?

I’m saying that other people should have a chance to play as well, but if you can find a rule that all green koans satisfy, or a rule that all red koans don’t satisfy, then go ahead :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m trying to come up with such a rule, but I can’t see anything right now. Would it be possible to give a hint on what sort of properties the rule considers, without giving too much away?

1 Like