Guess the black stones

My guess

Yes, I’m missing some white stones, but I want to avoid negative points for stones with low confidence.

4 Likes

Here’s the original game: KataGo 7 komi self-play games - #13 by Maharani

Gia: +3 x 2 - 8 = -2 points
gennan: +8 x 2 - 8 = 8 points
martin3141: +10 x 2 - 5 = 15 points
claire_yang: +12 x 2 - 6 = 18 points
mark5000: +15 x 2 - 3 = 27 points

I hope I counted everyone right :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think I’m - 13.

Edit: I’m confused.

I’m pretty sure I should have 27 (15 x 2 – 3)

Lol, I applied the multiplier for the wrong stones rather than the right stones. :smiley: Let me recalculate…

… Should be correct now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Round

21 black stones are missing.

Demo board

Share your guess either as a screenshot (or photo) here or as a variation in the demo board chat.

You get two points for each correctly placed black stone and lose one point for each incorrectly placed black stone.

P.S.: If you’re reading this, you’re welcome to play :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actual photos allowed or is more difficlut to parse?

3 Likes

Actual photos are encouraged! I love seeing everyone’s Go set.

2 Likes
My Guess

This is my favourite go set. I’ve had it for about 30 years.
I use it mostly to replay pro games when we go camping, which we do for a couple of weeks almost every year, so it’s a bit beat up.
The board is in 2 pieces (linked by wooden pegs), so it fits neatly in a backpack.
The stones are slate and shell, a birthday gift from my wife almost 30 years ago.

2 Likes

I feel inspired to use a board now :slight_smile:

My guess

I don’t really understand the white stones in the top left :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is from one of my favorite players, and I know what this game is. I don’t feel I should join this round.

Summary

Do you really want spoilers?

Summary

It’s ok, if you just missclick

Summary

This is your final warning.

Summary

If you just want a hint, the favorite player I like is Kato Masao (the assassin) 加藤正夫「殺し屋」

Summary

If Kato Masao could chase and kill, he would chase to the end of the earth to kill you - never just settled for enough - contact and kill. I think you know why I love him (at least games from his earlier years)

Summary

I’ll share the sequence with a picture using " game record paper" 碁罫紙 (this sheet is from the official Taiwan Go Association. Ever played official tournaments in real life here? This is literally part of the “paperwork”)

I wonder how many online players know this. Usually, it would use two different color pens for black and white. But if you are like me, too poor to buy colored pens and want to reuse the paper again, just use a pencil and mark white moves with circles.

The full game sequence link below

Summary

The game between Kato Masao and Sakata Eio, the 15th Judan title match final game 2
Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

4 Likes

It looks too concentrated, hm :woman_shrugging:

my guess

Ceiling lamp cameo.

1 Like
Spoiler, spoiler

:star_struck::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

My first goban! Kindly offered by my pa decades ago, so similar. I remember how I was in love how the lines were made ( in fact it was my first goban of the real size, I owned before that a Ravensburger set)

1 Like

Mark also left us on read.

This thread is giving me abandonment issues. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha, fair enough.

Results

As @claire_yang recognized, this game was Kato Masao versus Sakata Eio, the 15th Judan title match final, game 2, 1977.

Player Score
@gennan :trophy: 14 x 2 – 7 = 21
@shinuito 11 x 2 – 10 = 12
@Gia 6 x 2 – 15 = –3

P.S.: The masses have spoken. Anyone want to carry the next torch?

3 Likes

Since it can’t be said that I’m doing it to benefit myself, I would like to point out that it was a general consensus that people who know the games are not competing, although their excellence is recognized.

In my humble opinionated understanding, gennan should get the trophy.

3 Likes

Yes, @gennan should win this round, I need to be disqualified for this. I mainly tried to share some knowledge I know. And gennan has a very solid direction sense and recognized the lower-left joseki, and realize a heavy right side for black came from some kind of Chinese opening. The upper left is pretty hard to guess and more of a clash of style starting with a 3-3 fuseki answered with 4-4, and the “hammer” and force push is a very typical Kato style clashed with Sakata Eio’s quick sharp style.

4 Likes

Y’all let me know if you wanna guess at more AI positions or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have a strong opinion about selecting AI games or not. As long as it’s a somewhat sensible game between strong players, it should be suitable for this guessing game.

4 Likes