Guess the black stones

Is anyone interested in a team effort try?
Out of competition, of course.

(If strong players want to do it only, I don’t have to participate, I’d love to see the discussion)

It’s not too hard to place 100 stones with the information given. Feel free to look at the hints below if you want some help :slightly_smiling_face:

Hint 1

According to the scoring breakdown, there are 9 dead white stones on the board. Figure out which 9 stones!

Hint 2

Figure out which empty areas have to be black territories. Some are too small to contain alive groups. All the other ones have to be black to make the score close.

Hint 3

Fill out all the dame with black stones! This is really where the magic happens. You should have >100 stones after this step!

2 Likes

Feel free to collaborate! We’re only doing this for fun, the “competition” part isn’t that important :smiley:

1 Like

Well, if you did the extra work of posting hints, I kinda need to try now. :slight_smile:

My guess

2 Likes

My guess for this round

Summary

This is much of a chore than fun. There are still 22 black stones on the right side, and 6 dead stones inside white territory which could be anywhere (most likely somewhere inside the lower left and bottom side.

P.S. This is easier with a real board on hand, that I can rearrange and count fast, much like real game count, fix territory to count. By doing so I found that the black has to only have 81 stones outside the right side territory, or the count wouldn’t fit. So many captures usually means ko fights happened, so upper right must have lots of black stones leftover from the ko fights.

2 Likes
Guess

The upper-right corner is the biggest questionmark for me. The white group must be dead, but I believe there are different configurations of black stones that would ensure that. The only stone I am confident in is R16. I am wondering why White played a move on the first line at P19. But I didn’t figure something out when thinking about it.

2 Likes

You might have missed this. Nice guess otherwise.

2 Likes

Oh no, I know. It’s an improvement to my negative scores anyway and I can always present it as such without context. :wink:

4 Likes

Round 8 results

First off, here is the actual position and game:

Game record on go4go

These are the 108 stones that can be placed with total certainty:

Most of these are just filling out dame + making sure that nothing is in atari. B19 is needed, since otherwise the top left would be unsettled.

I actually don’t think it is possible to completely guarantee any stones in the top right corner, since there are many different ways to kill that group. But some are more likely than others, so this is where a little bit of go knowledge comes into the game, if you want to risk it for the win (rather than making the conservative 108-guess above).

We have a very close top 4!

Player Score
@mark5000 :trophy: 112
@gennan 111
@claire_yang 110
@martin3141 109
@Gia 0

@Gia made some incorrect placements, but did correctly identify all the black areas (except the black tail on the left), so was on the right track!

Well done to everyone playing! Anyone who wants to can make the next round. The format is completely up to the organizer.

7 Likes

I kinda want my zero, tho.

6 Likes

Round 9

15 black stones are missing.

Demo board

Share your guess either as a screenshot here or as a variation in the demo board chat. You get two points for each correctly placed black stone and lose one point for each incorrectly placed black stone.

I’ll share the results when this post is at least 2 days old.

5 Likes
My guess

4 Likes

Granted :wink:

2 Likes
My guess

2 Likes
Guess

There has not been a lot of close-quarter fighting, leading me to believe that this game was played before the “Alphago revolution”. I’m thinking there should be stones in the upper-right corner, but there are many possibilities that would make sense. My level of confidence is generally fairly low in this one.

1 Like

Round 9

Summary

There are some running toward the center for sure. But the right side of the board is very odd with R10 there as well as Q5, turning to surround something

1 Like
My Guess

Looks like a fairly old game. Maybe 3rd quarter of the 20th century?

1 Like

Results from Round 9

This was a semifinal game from the First NTV Women’s Meijin tournament in 1973. 22-year-old Ogawa Tomoko 2p (a student of Kitani Minoru) played black and won against Shiratori Sumiko 3p, who played white.

Player Score
@claire_yang :trophy: 11 x 2 - 4 = 18
@Harleqin 9 x 2 - 6 = 12
@martin3141 8 x 2 - 4 = 12
@gennan 9 x 2 - 7 = 11
@yebellz 4 x 2 - 11 = –3
6 Likes

Oh no I forgot. :disappointed:

2 Likes

EDIT: Saving for some other time… :slight_smile: