Having difficulties ending a game

Hi folks =, I’m Joseph a new player a site member about 2 weeks.

I am having difficulty in ending a game.
Three or four times when I was clearly ahead in a game and we both press pass… my oponent doesn’t accept the score and the game seems to recycle and if you don’t continue to play it times you out? How do I control that??

Also, I don’t know when it says to remove dead stones, as I thought the dead stones were removed automatically when we are playing.

Frustrating trying to end games and get an honest count?

thank you so much!!
Joseph

1 Like

Maybe easier if you post here a link to one of these games?
I will gladly discuss on this with you.

1 Like

will this link take you to my game
I was white and up +9 when we both hit pass… then I couldn’t get the game to total and it started the time clocks again.

Please review it from the beginning – its only a 9x9 game.

Thank you for your time!

Joseph

1 Like

group needs at least 2 eyes to survive.
you destroyed your own eye by placing stone there.
never do that

2 Likes

We still haven’t addressed the issue of black refusing to end the game while white was clearly winning. There’s an icon (black triangle with exclamation point in it) to report the game to a moderator. Or possibly your opponent is experiencing some beginner cluelessness and the better answer is to discuss the matter in the chat.

The answer isn’t to erode your own score by playing in your own area, as stone.defender pointed out.

As you improve your rank, these kinds of problems with opponents will mostly stop happening.

3 Likes

The very first step is the concept of two eyes. I encourage you to look at some tutorials.

The goal of go is not to capture and not to build some minimalist 2 eyes groups either.

But understanding well the 2 eyes concept will let us understand more clearly how and when to to conclude a game.

Note: you ll find links to tutorials in the OGS menu. I’ll be here around if you have still difficuties with 2 eyes, and if no more, to introduce you the next step.

(Look in the Learning resources category)

Last I suggest you to reproduce diagrams (you could encounter in tutorials, books, videos etc…) on a OGS demo board or even better with a go set (board and stones). This is not time wasted.

1 Like

You were right to pass where you originally passed in that game and it works have been fine to end it there. You are also right that usually dead stones are removed automatically and most of the time it’s done correctly by the site. It was correctly done this time and the game should have ended there.

But sometimes the players genuinely don’t agree with each other or the automatic scorer. That’s when the game is resumed at that players could play 1-2 more moves to prove the status of an ambiguous group.

If your opponent should abuse that feature, don’t feel like you have to play any moves. If they keep abusing the feature, click on the “call a moderator” button to have the result decided for you. But if course do make an effort to clarify the state if there really is some group that a reasonable person (eg the moderator) might have trouble assessing.

3 Likes

In area scoring. In territory scoring that will generally lose points, so you should just call the mod and argue the case as to why the situation should be judged as is one way or the other

I’d recommend area scoring to avoid that issue, of course

2 Likes

Siimphh:
Thanks so much for your help. It’s been a little frustrating trying to end some games. I don’t think the site has very clear instructions on this for new folks.

So, after both players pass… do I do anything when it says to count or remove dead stones?

When do I press “Accept Scores”?

Also can I just press “Automatic Score”.

Thank you very much for your help!!!
Joseph

2 Likes

The normal process is

1. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Check the markings to see if they are correct.

2. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ If they are not, then click the relevant ​ ​ ​ stones ​ / ​ empty intersections ​ ​ ​ to fix them.

3. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Check the markings again, in case your opponent changed them.

4. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ If they are still correct, then click ​ ​ ​ “Accept removed stones.” ​ .

Things get more complicated if your opponent changed the markings incorrectly,
    hough there, one can typically handle that by passing two
    more times, since resumptions do not reset the counter for
    Anti-escaping and Anti-stalling features

2 Likes