Hello how would I be able to get past 10k?

I have gotten better at the game after some matches. what would I need to do to get past 10k? thank you for the answers.

1 Like

Also

https://forums.online-go.com/t/go-lessons-in-broad-strokes-by-mark5000/30429?u=teapoweredrobot

Enjoy!

12 Likes

Try put away your worst moves. Read lessons in the fundamentals. Work tesujis.

Play serious games and try to apply what you learn in these.

Ask stronger for a few advices from reviewing your games.

5 Likes

Study shape, always look for sente, and tenuki more.

7 Likes

Hello Would you be able to play a game against me thank you?

Sorry not now.

I second the advice given before me. Play more, enjoy the game, TRY things and see what works for you and just try to stay in shape while exploring larger moves. If you’d like more details, try this:

It is targeted to get you around 9k. Skip the first chapter since you already know the basics, go through the shapes in chapter 2 just to see if you know them well, have a quick look at chapter 3 and then begin at chapter 4.

2 Likes

I just checked your profile and saw you happened to be playing a live game:

So I watched. Good game! :+1:

Some feedback:

• Might be better to approach top-right black stone in sente rather than enclose top-left corner in gote as black then happily takes even bigger corner enclosure.

• Try to invade less deep and play less heavy. Top-right corner lived but black was super thick outside. Lower-right did not have space to make a base, became heavy and was then bullied into resignation.

• Study life-and-death tsumego. Lower-right could have lived in various ways (especially by not tenuki-ing to enclose the lower-left while lower-right was not yet alive). If white manages to live in sente, then white can play elsewhere first. Instead, white ended up with one eye and chased across the board to resignation.

• Consider playing some weaker players too. Your rank is 10-12k. Some say ideal strength of opponent for improving is 2-3 stones stronger. So you want opponents around 7-10k. Many of your opponents are much stronger than that. Good to play some very strong opponents occasionally like the 3ks and the 2ds but some weaker ones too may help. Even some weaker than you can help to solidify fundamental concepts.

And most important of all, enjoy the game! :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answer I will try approaching the corner it is probably better than closing my my corner.
Yeah I am not sure why I invaded that space haha. Normally I play any game I can come across but will play the higher rank one because I surprise myself. Lastly, would you be able to elaborate on how the stones could have survived thank you.

1 Like

Thank you will practice these shapes

1 Like

I have added a review with one comment on move 65 and some variations in the chat that are better for life:

This move is a bad shape. Compare it with this:

I explain here why that your move is a bad shape. Please look at this figure.
スクリーンショット 2021-08-07 4.24.01

In general, the x marked region is an undesirable place to put stones from either side. If white plays there, it will make a week stone. If black plays there, it will make an inefficient shape. This is similar to the Crossing the T concept

Let’s look back at the actual game.

Now you see where you played is “a heat zone” from the influence of the triangle marked stones and rectangle marked stones.

A similar thing can be said in this case.

Your M4 stone is now in the heat zone of black’s influence since black played L4. Usually, you should play close to the M4 to strengthen the M4 stone either by “blocking move”.

or “evading move”

or “counter attack move”

You can also see from this figure why Q3 is considered a bad move for a long time.

3 Likes

One month passed and i see that you play as SDK now, that’s great!

Maybe time to play more often on 19x19 ? May lose a bit more the time to get used to it but that matters only if you focus too much on the rating. Losing is for future winners!

Have fun!

9 Likes

About a year ago I wrote this post about “trying to break through the DDK wall”

Hopefully some of the things that helped me will work for you as well.

1 Like

Read a book or two. Start with the Elementary Go Series. Or Kageyama’s “Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go”. Or Graded Go Problems for Beginners.

1 Like

I just now (and probably for a fleeting moment) hit 9k.

:tada:

For me, the answer of “how to do this” has been:

• Study Dwyrin’s “back to basics” and apply the lessons
  • Play unranked with someone of much higher rank to get a feel for what much better play feels like, and feedback about your own play
  • Make sure you balance your opponents. The Pie Chart is good for this. You need to play up and down in equal measure for all sorts of reasons:
    • Feel what it’s like to lose, and learn what might make you stronger
    • Feel what it’s like to win - to have strategies succed, and to establish how to take advantage of mistakes. And just stay happy by winning, and being able to help someone weaker :slight_smile:
    • Drive your rating up with wins
    • Keep your “rating uncertainty” low with losses
  • Review every game, at least personally, specifically remembering what choices were hard in-play and how those worked out
6 Likes

Can you talk a little bit more about that?
We cannot control who we play with right?

Yes, you can control whom you play by creating or accepting custom challenges in the Play tab. For example, you could create a game only for players weaker than you or stronger than you. You can also challenge someone whom you have met (i.e., someone you have conversed with) in the Chat or here in the Forums. Best to PM them first, asking if they would like to play.

6 Likes

I find that an even better method to control who we play with is on a ladder, if you are playing correspondence at least.

You can’t control who challenges you, for sure, but you can control who you challenge. This allows us to select opponents based on whatever criteria we like.

Challengers you receive are typically an even mix of stronger and weaker anyhow.

And of course even in live play in auto-match you can set your opponent rank range, under “Settings” on that page.

4 Likes