How do you find players to play in real life

That is super cool! I’d love to get in touch with the Italy organizers if you have some contacts or recommendations. I am building online tools to support active clubs and communities like this (BadukClub)

1 Like

Please contact Kalli Balduin (Berlin). He is the most helpful person with vast experience in teaching and spreading Go. Send him my greetings: Rainer vom Bodensee :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Best bet: Berlin go club. During pandemic search them online. Check German and European Go Website.

Besides what already exist:

Student 18-25yrs: take your go set to a university cafeteria (Science building maybe more success)

students are easiest to make quick go players but they are volatile, may disappear forever in summer.
Bonus: you can find find sometimes Korean Chinese or Japanese student communities with a bunch of players. Great.

Highschool 14-18yrs: meet a teacher who may be interested (math, philosophy, geo or other) He can help you to enter the high school and organize a go initiation. (find a movie 10mn bring 9*9…)
launch a go club in the school

high school is a good balance between quickness to learn and stability. They may stay longer in town (or come back)

younger: interesting too but need more perseverance and efforts. Perfect to get some more pros in your town later.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that finds - at least the second video - a bit intriguing, at least?
It does a few things right - tries to convey the sense that there’s a depth to the game and excitement in every move, without boring the heck out of the viewer with technicalities (like explanations on what is a seki or the half-dozen set of rules etc)

Anyway, iirc a while back there was this huge discussion in the british go community whether go should be presented as an easy game to learn or not; and I think it is still unclear what is the best way to show the game to outsiders…

1 Like

Tell the truth - easy to learn, hard to master! That’s part of what makes it so great - even a little kid can learn in 5 minutes and remain interested for a lifetime (given the right conditions to spark and maintain interest)

4 Likes

http://forum.dgob.de/index.php?topic=7481.0

On this website is a link for a zoom meeting from the german go association, you don’t play in person, but you can see each other and you can talk about the games. It’s every Wednesday.
And there are player from Hamburg too.

2 Likes

Great tips indeed!
(Your link didn’t work for me but I found it on google: How to Teach Go | BenGoZen)

1 Like

Same as English language for non-natives then!

3 Likes

I doubt that it makes a real difference.
Go is a very challenging game. It actually is much more sport than game. I think only a very small minority of the population has what it takes to play Go at least sometimes. And for that minority it probably doesn‘t matter much how you present it.

1 Like

I join you on this. Seems to me that the less you explain the best. Just enough cultural references and that’s it, the goal being to be able to start a game asap.

3 Likes