How do you find players to play in real life

Yeah, we made a really nice poster with a game on a wooden board and Japanese art in the background, put them up all over campus, not a single new person from them, LOL :joy:

5 Likes

Effective advertisement can be tricky. For example, some people actually spent a lot of time and effort creating these trailers for Go.

:warning: Cringe Warning :warning:

7 Likes

LOL, I’m already cringing just from the screenshots. I can’t even bring myself to watch them :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

I decided to watch the first video, totally surprised half the video consists of credits, does not in any way feature Go (but it does feature a Go bowl!) and does not even tell me what exactly to do… What did I watch?

It’s an advertisement for Go that only works for people who already play Go…

Oh my gosh, they get worse…

7 Likes

We can’t leave out this Youtube classic:

11 Likes

Vsotvep completely took the words right out of my mouth.

I like the first one. I can relate but as an advertisement it fails to target non Go players and being ‘cheesy’ about your own product is an ineffective technique imho.

2 Likes

If one were to watch those 4 “WHAT IS GO” videos in sequence, one would naturally conclude that playing Go is all about hitting on attractive people in cafes while drinking. I mean - maybe that’s how Go clubs are in Hamburg? I guess I’d have to go there to find out!

9 Likes

Suggestion #2: Advertise yourself by wearing OGS Merchandise when it becomes available. The extremely stylish OGS facemask, for example and then play against each other on your phones (covid-safe) while chatting about the game IRL.

3 Likes

There were some very cute Japanese intro to Go shorts that were almost forgotten in time.

7 Likes

After my comment about merchandise, “intro to Go shorts” had me thinking something completely different!

The clip above is from Hikaru No Go as many no doubt know. The first few episodes have these at the end.

Suggestion #3: Invite them to watch anime with you, so long as it’s Hikaru No Go. The trap is set. :smiley:

3 Likes

I would not underestimate really refining how you explain the game to your friends. I found through extensive trial and error that there are some really good techniques for teaching new people as well as some really bad pitfalls to avoid. Additionally context, environment, and relationship matter a lot.

Even so I probably only hooked five people.

8 Likes

My god, these are amazing.

Ahhh, haha, amazing. I liked that immediately after the ad told me “go is not about fighting”, YouTube suggested the next video “dwyrin: how to kill basics”

7 Likes

In Italy the Telegram go channel had a boost after covid. Today we have about 100 messages a day and a bunch of frequent users from all the country.
It’s a virtual place to talk about go and to look for players that occasionally meet also IRL.
It’s also a place to call for tournaments and to comment tournament games. This year we started the “National Go League”: a big tournament with live games played online, mainly on OGS, with reviews from stronger players.
So there’s always something happening.

In my city the local go club (a handful of players) managed to gather outdoors in the summer. Now we have weekly meetings on Zoom. It’s a good way to keep in touch and play few live games (on OGS) waiting for better times to come.

So my advice is: look for clubs even if they are closed. They could have alternatives.
Also look for social networks and virtual communities. It could be a first step to get actual IRL games

7 Likes

An old Aga intro which is funny to watch

1 Like

I can confirm that we Go players in Hamburg are all extremely attractive. But why do you say ‘Hamburg’? Have these videos been produced here?

4 Likes

At the end of the long credits it mentions Hamburg.

I also only watched the first half the first video, with the second half being credits :slight_smile: maybe I should watch the rest

1 Like

Among the sponsors, there’s also the “Limassol Go Club” listed. So my guess is that some Hamburg film students and a couple of actors went to Cyprus to shoot this.

2 Likes

Here is a great blog post about how to “teach” (introduce new players to) Go

8 Likes

When I read the headline on the video, I thought it said “Play More Golf.” That’s odd, I thought, and then put on my reading glasses. I actually have a mild liking for the second one—the impromptu game, the waiter getting interested—but yes, bad as advertising. For one thing, they are too long.

1 Like