How long do you anticipate correpondence game to last [POLL]

So the question is for all you correspondence players: how quickly (or slowly) do you expect your correspondence game to be over with? For the sake of the poll, lets ignore the specific timesettings you prefer and wether you’re playing AST’s/ladders/automatches/customs, and lets also ignore the outliers like early timeouts and prolonged pauses.

Just imagine "your typical correspondence"™ which goes till the counting or at least in the end-game, how long you do you anticipate that game to last? Just the gut-feeling is good enough, no need to start running an analysis on your game history xD

How long does your typical correspondence game lasts? (choose max 2)
  • A day or few - I play corrs almost as live games
  • A week or couple of weeks, but less than a month
  • About one month
  • More than just one month, but less than 3 months
  • Around 3-5 months, certainly under half a year
  • Half a year, give or take
  • 7-9 months
  • 10-12 months
  • More than a full year (this is some serious commitment ^^)
  • I do not play correspondence (but still wanted to vote)
  • Non of the options given suits me (please explain in the comments)

0 voters

2 Likes

Are you asking what we try to play? Or what actually happens?

At my rate, I can get games done in a few days. However, in reality, the length of the game depends entirely on my opponent and the time settings (which could be any of the above haha)

2 Likes

What actually happens, the “typical, run-of-the-mill correspondence” you play. And yeah of course, length does always depend on how fast are your opponents. I’m just curious to know what do other ppl consider being common for them. ^^

1 Like

Depends on the activity of me and my opponent for sure. Also depends heavily on the board size. 19x19 for me will take a few months, but 13x13 closer to a month and 9x9 a few weeks.

2 Likes

I don’t play correspondence nowadays, but 10 years ago I did play correspondence (on jijbent.nl and also on the old OGS).
Some games would be over in a month (same time zone, both players playing multiple moves per game per day), but quite a few games would take up to a year to finish.

jijbent.nl even has yearly championships with multiple rounds that take years to finish, so that the 2006 champion was only decided in 2009 :grimacing: (I took 2nd place once and 3rd/4th place a couple of times)

More and more, I felt that this is just way too slow for me, so I don’t play correspondence anymore :wink:

3 Likes

I’d rather not do it, but, sometimes, people challenge me and i dont know that it’s correspondence untill ive actually started playing it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is still mr.pickles, but i on my account that i usually use for forums, i ususally mostly use the Mr.Pickles account for GO games, and i prefer live :>

1 Like

I like to make games last as long as absolutely possible. Max time settings = average of one move per week = typical game length of 4-5 years. Sometimes I make my opponent wait up to a month for one move. Why? I call it the “make your opponent wait so long that they forget what is going on in the game tesuji” :wink:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What move reference style do you like best? (POLL)