How to advance in go

How to advance in go - reading and learning books or rather take to mind what was learned through alpha go that moves that looked rather simple and not usual that turned out to be the game changer, so not to be confined by the usual moves that are known today and try to build a unique style to play?

1 Like

Well, this should keep you busy for a while :rofl:
(there is more :smiley: )

2 Likes

Perhaps you should tell more:

• What is your current level
  • What have you done so far to get there
  • Which level are you aiming for
  • How much time and effort are you willing to put in.
5 Likes

I will second @jlt 's questions and while waiting for answers I want to say that unless you are very skilled player, there is a severe limit on what AI can teach you because a lot of times AI has counter-intuitive moves that only work in the long term if you have the strength of the AI itself.

As far as I am concerned I think that I’d be happy reading about older moves and ideas and more basic concepts. Maybe they are “outdated” if you are a pro, but if you are a normal amateur player, you can always learn a lot on what was played by actual pros now, 30 years ago or 300 years ago. We are not at their level either way.

E.g. if I could play on par and on style of Inoue Gennan Inseki (old fashioned moves and all), I’d call that a win every day of the week.

So, AI is better at winning, but humans are better at explaining how they won, ergo they are better at teaching you. :slight_smile:

The former.