How to get KGS on a Chromebook?

Hi everyone,
I have been trying for a while to get KGS on my chromebook. I love this server, and will continue playing on it, but I think it would be cool to try other servers too, maybe one with a more traditional play style instead of a more experimental one like we have on OGS.
However, since all I have is a chromebook, this might be pretty much impossible. The main problem is a chromebook cannot open/view most files without extra help from a plugin or app. Me being such a tech noob, I don’t know which plugin/app to choose(if there are any).
The kgs file is a raw jar file, so I would need something to open that.
Thanks in advance,
-MrC
P.S. Let me know is you need more information then this

I know close to nothing about Chromebooks, but I know that CGoban needs a JAVA installation.

So …

• if there’s no JAVA on your Chromebook, or …
  • if it is even not possible to install JAVA on the Chromebook,

… you won’t be able to run CGoban there.

KGS has a website now (Shin KGS)

5 Likes

Thank you for both your responses.

Chrome doesn’t support java(unfortunately) so yeah, that option doesn’t work.

How would I sign up without downloading KGS? When I click on sign up, it brings me to the other website.

I signed up by going to another computer, running Java, signing up just to create an account, and then using the website on my real computer. I couldn’t find a way around that, unless you ask a friend to sign up for you on their computer.

1 Like

Thanks, I was considering doing that, but I didn’t know if it would work. Now that I know it works, I will try it.

GoUniverse is a good Chrome app for playing on KGS, I expect it’ll work fine on your Chromebook:

1 Like

I like how it’s a "universal "go client … that just happens to only support KGS :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah, give 'em time. Software is hard. :o)

2 Likes

Meh… Tried cgoban, shin and universal. Cgoban is clunky, shin is still beta missing some features, same with universal has some features still under construction…

OGS all the way… Lol!

3 Likes

I think go universe has the same problem as the website, but I will still try it once I get an account.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Ilya Kirillov is also the author of the wonderful HTML5 Web Go Board:

AFAIK the access to KGS was is just the first “gate” in this WebApp, and he intends to add connections to other servers as well. I trust him to keep working on this, albeit in the time he needs …