How to play conditional moves?

Sorry if this is FAQ, I know DGS has this (play conditional moves), but not sure about OGS, but today I do see my opponent having done this. Specifically, the qiestion is for correspondence games. (I don’t see why this is relevant for real-time games)

1 Like

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4ocp11zv62qqor/2019-12-12_12-26-49.mp4?dl=0
(It’s a video so can’t upload directly, sorry)

4 Likes

Plan conditional moves is one of the items in this wiki, though perhaps it could use a little more detail looking at it now

edit: seems one of our helpful little elves has already padded it out :wink: thanks @AdamR

6 Likes

You see in the screenshot, there’s no “conditional move planner” on the menu bar.

1 Like

Conditional moves are only available when it isn’t your turn. After you play a move it should become available.

Edit: Here’s a screenshot from the relevant section in the linked wiki

3 Likes

Hi all, I have figured out how to do it now.
Actually, conditional moves planner is also available when it is my turn, just play a move (before submit), the planner will be shown.
This planner in ogs is more powerful than dgs: in ogs, we can have a tree of branches.
Thank you.

1 Like

We can’t add passes in yet though :cry: that would be superb

2 Likes

It does’nt seem to work correctly when it’s my turn. See screenshot, the stone colors are wrong in the planner.

you’re much better off submitting your move and then going into the conditional move planner on your opponents clock and setting up the moves

2 Likes

What he said. If you want to use the tree when it’s your turn then there is 'Analyze Game".

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a known bug that causes the conditional moves to be accessible before submitting your move. See Conditional move planner appears too soon

2 Likes

I am clear now, the current conditional move planner is available only when it’s opponent’s turn.

Firstly of all, conditional move planner is a good function, no doubt about it.

However, I wonder if this is a natural way of playing, we usually decide the next move based on the the outcomes of different possible variations. In other words, when I play a move, in theory, I have already decided the conditional moves to play for the succeeding moves, if any. I do not play a move, and then start thinking about how to respond the opponent’s countermoves. Therefore, I think it makes more sense, I should make and accept the conditional move planner along with my next move.

Of course, this means a change request, I wonder if other players feel the same thing, or there’s really a reason to do conditional move planner when it’s the opponent’s turn.

Thanks, Dino

1 Like

If I’m understanding you correctly, your request might be related to an earlier thread/suggestion (that I can’t find now) which would allow lines from the ‘Analyze Game’ tree to be moved to accepted conditional moves.

3 Likes

Yes, I think this is close.

It seems more natural to me too.

Sometimes I put down a stone, look at the board, facepalm and hope my opponent doesn’t notice my mistake. Then they make me wait many painful days. Having a conditional resign could save us from this

3 Likes

You can resign normally at any time regardless of whether it is your turn or not.

I think you might have missed the point on this one BH. One only wishes to resign if the opponents next move demonstrates that they picked up on the mistake. If they don’t then a different conditional move may be entered, possibly the life-saving move that was missed. ie. the Resign move is ‘Conditional’ on the opponent’s response.

2 Likes

Well … I for one have sometimes resigned after I played a catastrophic move that, if answered correctly, would lead to my definite loss of the game—BEFORE the opponent played, just because they could play that move. And then sometimes I explained to my opponent why I resigned (if it was necessary).

But I’m “crazy” in other regards also :wink:

4 Likes

Also it’s rude to resign on the opponent’s turn.

2 Likes