Hunting at Night: The 1st 25x25 Tournament

Today we started the first 25x25 tournament on OGS. 256 players, very nice. If we’re lucky we’ll see Sadaharu vs earlgreyhot final.

11 Likes

Was it for today?! Or did it start when full?
Still, great that it seems to be working out :blush::+1:

3 Likes

I wish to play with either/both of them on the tournament. :grin:

2 Likes

Wait, aren’t they competing on the second round or the pairings will be random?

Pairings are slide so stronger players will play weaker players in all rounds. So they should be able to play in final.

4 Likes

Oh I see. Thanks. Great to see them on the finals. :grin:

Because it’s slide and single elimination, here’s an expectation of how many games you’ll play based on your rank:

Rank drops out in
<10k 1st round
<6k 2nd round
<3k 3rd round
<1k 4th round
<1d 5th round
<3d 6th round
everyone
except
Sadaharu &
earlgreyhot
7th round
9 Likes

That was quick ^__7

In fact three games already ended without even starting.

3 Likes

Oh. :frowning:

1 Like

I must say, although slide gives the best match in the finale, for the 9d players it will mean 5 extremely long extremely large games of playing against kyu’s before they even get to opponents of dan level…

Except for the last couple of rounds all of games in the tournament will have a very large rank disparity between the players.

5 Likes

I don’t want to be salty, but if someone can understand what

|Tournament Type|Single Elimination|
|Initial Pairing Method|Slide|
|Subsequent Pairing Method|Slide|
|Rules|Japanese|
|Board Size|25x25|
|Handicap|None|
|Conditional Moves & Analysis|Allowed|
|Rank Restriction|25 Kyu and above|
|Provisional Players|Allowed|

means in a tournament before they join it, it’s probably the dans…

4 Likes

Well, apparently not, because the second strongest player resigned before even playing :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if it’s because of the slide rule, it might also be because it’s 25x25, which would be even sillier, of course.

4 Likes

When you invite people they can accept by clicking :heavy_check_mark: without even looking at the page.

That being said single elimination did turn out to be bad. I don’t know what settings should be proper. Yet. In my head I didn’t want to give people multiple games to play at the same time so round robin and simul was out. As far as I understand, swiss and normal mcmahon are borked at the moment. So I ended up with elimination but it also turn out to be bad.

I hope there will be the second time and it will be better!

2 Likes

Who accepts invitations without looking at the event?.. I swear, these millennials…

3 Likes

Have you never done that?

…no.

Maybe in uni a couple of times I didn’t ask in which club the party was, but other than that, what can I say

6 Likes

25x25 is so big even playing against a weak opponent is confusing.

5 Likes

Ladders hurt… There’s not even hoshi marks to be a guide

3 Likes

Yeah, I wish it had 16 hoshi on 25x25.

3 Likes

So far, I really like it. So much space! But I’m still in the opening. It will be confusing as hell in the endgame.

5 Likes