Hunting at Night: The 1st 25x25 Tournament

Wow, you really are optimistic. Most of my 25x25 games end by resignation.

4 Likes

I have played many of these games, mostly 23x23 and 25x25. You can get to the endgame (one time the final score was even 0.5) but it’s often clear who has won before, as it is on 19x19 and even 9x9.

There is a curious thing about 25x25 endgames. There is a tendency to make enormous blunders (like lose 50 points all of a sudden) in areas that you thought were settled. Sometimes neither player sees the weakness in the position for dozens of moves.

Endgames are extremely long, especially with area scoring when you fill all the dame (but most players on OGS don’t seem to know the difference between Japanese and Chinese rules, so few people bother to fill them). Creating a 25x25 correspondence game without conditional moves is a huge pain in the ass when you get to the endgame.

Don’t resign early! Even if you lose 30 points, it is nothing and you can easily get it back later. You can resign if you lose 100 points.

6 Likes

What is the reason for these 25*25 Games to not affect the ranking? Something Just technical?

Only 9x9 games, 13x13 games, and 19x19 games affect the ranking, as they are the “standard” board sizes.

1 Like

The standard is only 19 to me, then 9 and 13 are like variations which have a rating already sure. I think 25 could get that privilege Too, it Looks a lot like a go game and the players will have to invest Even more time as on a 9 or a 13.
If it’s technical I mean the rating doesnt exist, this I can understand.

Historically OGS recognized only 9x9, 13x13 and 19x19 as rated. Other sizes like 13x9 or 1x25 are considered irregular and are unrated. And 25x25 falls into that category. So on OGS you can’t play 25x25 ranked. I can’t do anything about it. (Strictly speaking OGS doesn’t allow tournaments for non-standard sizes ttoo so what we’re doing here is illegal)

2 Likes

Mesmerizing

8 Likes

My opponent resigned and I won, unexpectedly. :flushed: To be honest, I am a bit disappointed, because we were only 81 moves in the game. And I’m only something between 12k and 14k, so it would have been likely that I’d make some big mistakes later.

5 Likes

In the game w has a lot of loose extensions (3 spaces). Maybe it was a try for a specific strategy due to the size of the board? The result on the right is bad but still has aji with the peep to use later. Well yes sure could have last longer but I understand w too.

1 Like

Half of the first round in done.

Another game that was counted, this time the difference is only 140 points:

I kinda like the aesthetics of elimination. Each round the games get closer in strength, more serious, more intense. And swapping to Simultaneous McMahon would give too many games to play at the same time, could be too hard on the players.

9 Likes

F

1 Like

I wonder what’s going on …

Sadaharu is mass timing out

So is Earl Grey Hot, who earlier also mass resigned a bunch of games.

2 Likes

You mean they stopped playing on OGS and play somewhere else now?! :worried:

1 Like

Well, I hope they are still playing Go, even if somewhere else.

1 Like

Closest game so far?

5 Likes

Another “close” game

4 Likes

TD should ask for a health of the eyes certificate before registering players using a phone.
Hope this whole tournament will get some comments about opening from strong players later.

3 Likes

Another game is finished

4 Likes

Persistence wins!

4 Likes

atomcheong too