I hate tournaments

Still hanging on my main page two years after they started. Some is still going on, some I can’t figure out the status.

Anyway, I will never participate again

2 Likes

Yeah, sometimes/usually correspondence tourneys take years to finish >___>

3 Likes

The worst is when you resign from the tournament and it stays there on your home page for years and years.

6 Likes
6 Likes

There are many other posts about this. Try searching “tournaments” and “profile”

1 Like

No thanks. Fool me once…

This is one reason I don’t play correspondence game any more. First I thought it exists for busy people then realize people just enjoy random discrete thought process and play 100 of them at the same time, not to mention the freedom of putting a losing game “on hold”. I don’t want to be part of it.

Don’t get me start a I hate correspondence games thread, lol

6 Likes

Yes

Why not?

Give people an option and they will use it the way they like it. :smile:

The two examples above aren’t in the same set.

3 Likes

I’m probably going to stop participating in tournaments as well.
But my problem is that I’ll join a tournament, finish a round, get bored, join another tournament, forget I’m still playing one, repeat. Then, out of nowhere, several tournaments start a new round at the same time, and I’ll have far more correspondence games than what I can keep up with. :sweat_smile:

I’ll just stick with the 19x19 ladder, at least there I can only have 6 games max.

7 Likes

For the same reasons I also quit doing correspondence tournaments. Gave me a lot of rest and less irritation.
I switched to the automatic sitewide tournaments, especially the 9x9 and 13x13 format.
These AST’s don’t last long. Usually done within 60 minutes.
Well, maybe this works for you too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Because it results in each one of those 100 games being played very slowly, to the detriment of the other player in each of them.

Of course, clearly all those other players agreed to the time setting, but somehow that is cold comfort…

2 Likes

This is why I usually stick to round robin tournaments where it’s all done in one round.

4 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. Either I have far too many ongoing games, or too few.
But I still like tournaments and won’t stop participating, even though I keep making the same mistake… :grin: :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Is it?

We are talking about correspondence games. They are usually slow.
I can’t see why having 1 or 100 games could imply fast or slow correspondence.
Sofia had more than 1000 contemporary correspondence games and for sure they weren’t that slow.

People dragging tournaments isn’t necessarily people with many games.
It’s unrelated.

4 Likes

I’ve played quite some live tournaments this year, really enjoy them, even the European one that I had to play early morning. So essentially it is not tournaments, but correspondence games I dislike.

I hate correspondence games. :smile:

4 Likes

Well… I do. When you have limited time and energy to play, and you don’t simply want to play the first move that comes to mind, it already makes a different if you have 10 ongoing games or 50. Having 50 games means (in my case) that I am not able to play one move in each of these games on each day.

But Sofia is exceptional. :flushed:
And, as she wrote somewhere herself, she doesn’t think long before making a move, which is why her OGS account is only around 5 to 6k, while she is actually something like 1k or so when playing at her best.
(A while ago, I even won a game against her, even though she is clearly stronger than me.)

7 Likes

Look at this 2nd 3kyu to 3D tournament, why create the 2nd when the 1st did not finish yet? And the RD is disqualified. lol

I hate people.

I have recently started to withdraw from correspondence games too. I find the long term commitment is too much. I might have time for 20 simultaneous games this week but next week… or next month… I was in 4 correspondence ladders (1 on OGS, 3 on DGS) plus I had a handful of non-tournament correspondence games with friends / randoms - once my current ladder challenges are over I will exit the ladders and once the extra correspondence games are over too I’m taking a break from correspondence all together. Then I will have more time for what I really want to do with my limited Go time - tsumego, books, and live games :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That is a rather strong sentiment.
Okay if I interpret it as that you do dislike some players who f*@k up a tournament?

No, before you get me banned, this is purely a joke. You don’t go on a forum to tell everyone you hate them even if that’s your true belief

ah, you edited your post :slight_smile:

1 Like