"I remember..." game

…how did you find this thread? :thinking:

But thanks for the info, I will probably do the same as you soon! This game seems fun though since I might learn some Go knowledge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I changed the topic out of consideration :D

It was originally in General Go Discussion.

2 Likes

Through the Years started in June, actually.

That was also before OGS introduced support for custom boards, which happened in July and spurred the creation of the Board backgrounds library.

I remember when OGS replaced the stone placement sound, which might be in the right temporal range, though I don’t remember exactly when it happened.

Hmm…

I remember Nick Sibicky’s last lecture in the Seattle Go Centre, in March of last year.

1 Like

I remember when the horrors began last year with the terrible correspondence disconnect bug.

3 Likes

When was that, do you remember?

April 20, 2020

2 Likes

I remember when John Conway, inventor of the Game of Life with a goban and stones, died from coronavirus on the 11th of April.

See Covid-19 and Go at Sensei's Library, a page which sadly needs to be updated to read “2019–21 (…) pandemic”.

5 Likes

I’m starting to see what the game is here (and bugcat is winning by a mile). Effective points (implied cred?) are scored by being as close as possible to the last one, but you don’t want to wait too late to put your entry that you can remember which is further in the past, in in case some numbat comes along and goes further back than you… and neither do you want to be the numbat that goes too far back in one hop, scoring big negative effective points…

2 Likes

Hey, wait, Bugcat did March of last year, so how come we have some Aprils of 2020 after that?

I hadn’t thought of it so competitively, but “small hops” is indeed the name of the game since the further back we go in time, the less people can play, since I envisaged that to “remember” an event, you have to actually remember it.

1 Like

I figure there has to be some discincentive to to big hops, hence my observation of what that discincentive is.

But I’m not sure what kind of numbat you are if you actually go in the wrong direction :wink:

Well, John Conway’s death is a valid hop from the correspondence trouble, even if the corr. trouble wasn’t a valid hop from Nick Sibicky’s Go Centre lecture.

Let’s just regard the entire chain so far as valid and continue from Conway.

1 Like

We could probably debate endlessly about how to score the size of hops and if whether going the wrong direction should be scored as negative points or not (like area vs territory counting)…

2 Likes

Surely a pedant would insist on this, if it is written in the rules?

(goes off to see about putting numbat into someone’s title)

Meanwhile, darned if I remember anything notable in early 2020, but I sure remember Lee Sedol’s retirement in Nov 19, 2019 …

2 Likes

I was going to mention his match against Handol, but apparently he played that in December, after his formal retirement.

I have something in my mind, but it’s from April and I don’t want to go back that far…

I remember when Shin Minjun went on a winning streak in the Nongshim Cup, but I don’t remember exactly when that was. We missed Shin Jinseo’s 23(?)–game streak, which happened sometime last year.

Hmm…

Iyama lost the Oza title for the second time (to Shibano) and the Judan (again for a second time) to Murakawa. I don’t know when exactly those losses were either, though.

Darn, I do remember the Handol games, but I didn’t recall them.

Since you kindly didn’t put dates, this lets me play another important memory from around that time: Yeonwoo’s first video, Oct 12 2019.

2 Likes

(More meta: having experienced this a bit, I think it would be more playable and durable if “points” were only score for memories that are the shortest distance from a previous one. This would mean that many more memories could get played, and you’d have to be much more careful about big jumps… each memory can only be worth one point for a subsequent one: that point goes to the closest next memory… that’d be my point system)

It’s hard to find anything in the period May–September 2019.

Was this about the time when the Go (game) Twitch category became just Go?
And when we had the big Go Twitch streams on the front page?

Also, I just learnt that Clossius has been making Go content for twelve years. A little while longer and he’ll have students younger than his youtube channel.

1 Like

Darn, I missed the opportunity, jumped my own memory for this one which I love to remember

Oct 31 2019.

But this isn’t an official memory, it’s just a note now of a missed play! :open_mouth:

1 Like