Apparently I really messed up somewhere, and about
20% 8% of correspondence games have prematurely ended by “disconnection”.
I’m trying to figure out what happened. I’m terribly sorry. More details will follow.
- The code that performs the loss by disconnection was disabled shortly after this event, meaning it should no longer happen.
- It is not going to be possible to restore lost games. I’m very sorry. Game terminations ripple throughout the system and carry far beyond a simple game state, unwinding that is a bit like trying to repair a broken glass you dropped off the counter. It is possible to fork games to resume them with your opponent, this will however not have any bearing on the outcome of the original game, so it’s only useful if you want to finish playing out a game, it won’t affect rank or tournament positions.
- I’ll figure out something to repair ranks, but it won’t be a fast patch today, I don’t want to mess that up too by trying to rush a patch.
- I’ve manually enabled “weekend” pause timers for all correspondence games for the time being, as paused games were somewhat insulated from the bug. I’ll turn it off when I’m confident things are fixed properly.
- I’m still working through things to figure out exactly what happened.
- The issue has been found, we had a data inconsistency related to the time control system that I failed to handle correctly. The result is the disconnection code saw these games and counted them as being live games instead of correspondence games. I believe I have a fix, but I’ll be validating that for a bit still before I release so I don’t break anything else up by accident with rushed fixes.
- The related issue that caused players to not be able to pause or place moves in some games should be fixed, please message me if you are still having problems.
- I’m rolling out the fix slowly to make sure I don’t miss anything again, but so far it looks like the issue has been isolated and resolved.
- There’s still an ongoing issue where the move counter isn’t always reporting all games, because of this I have not removed the manual weekend timer. Fixing this is the current top priority.
- A total of 1588 games were affected, “only” 8% of the games.
- After the server is stable again I will be working on repairing ranks and annulling all affected games automatically. You do not need to request for game annulments. I expect to be able to do this either late this week or at the start of next week. The updates will properly account any games played between now and then, so feel free to play games, sorry that ranks will be a bit chaotic for a few days.
- The move counter issue should be fixed, please let me know if you are still having problems with it.
- Manual weekend has been turned off
- Ranks have been repaired