"I remember..." game

I remember when Lee Sedol published a Go book for beginners with a nice cover (August 7, 2016)

4 Likes

I remember Lee Sedol’s “divine move”, (78) in the fourth game of the Deepmind Challenge Match against AlphaGo, on March 13th!

Yesterday was its five-year anniversary.

4 Likes

I remember when AlphaGo played move 37 in game 2, its famous “very surprising” 1-in-10,000 fifth-line shoulder hit.

I remember when AlphaGo played move 102 in game 1, its famous “jaw-dropping” move.

I remember when Gogameguru.com announced An Younggil’s book Relentless, a commentary on the Lee Sedol vs Gu Li jubango.

This all occurred on March 8 and 9, 2016.

4 Likes

I remember the beginning of the match, on the 9th of March.

I remember when AlphaGo hype was building. Myungwan Kim 9p’s analysis of the Fan Hui series contributed a lot to that hype, at least in the English-speaking Go community. And then everyone started addressing AlphaGo as “she/her.”

Myungwan Kim 9p reviews Fan Hui 2p vs AlphaGo ?P - YouTube

January 29, 2016.

3 Likes

On January 16, 2016, I played my first online game as part of an event on 4chan’s /tg/ (Traditional Games) board, on my original spidermoney account. That was a 9x9. The name of that account backfired – I was trying to allude to a fantasy setting with arachnid currency, but everyone assumed that I’d misspelt “spidermonkey”.

I got hooked on playing that first day and I played both my first 13x13 and my first 19x19.

However, I had to play nine 19x19 games before taking my first 19x19 victory on January 21st, in which I brutalised an already significantly weaker opponent.

PS. In March of that year, I was the eighteenth opponent of @polar-bear.

4 Likes

My first ever 19x19 game. My opponent was still active as late as December of last year.

move(s) comment
1–7 not the worst opening, but ofc not good either
9 the kick is not a bad choice here
11, 13 armpit hit, but the opponent lets me transpose to a 3-3 invasion
15 S15 is ofc needed, and I have a lot of time to play it (but I don’t)
17 a sort of little double wing formation, not bad
19 I should just C13
21–27 an ok result
29–37 this fighting makes a lot of sense, and the result is good for me
39 I don’t know what my idea was here
45 I took the key point that White missed
47, 49 I became too fixated on the cutting stone
51 the first really ??? move
53 I already know how to net
55, 57 trying to make central territory slowly and primitively
59–69 decent fighting
71 too small
75 not seeing the cut
77–83 reasonable fighting
87 early endgame
89 the wrong atari
91 very small
99 continuing the early endgame
103 tactically flawed
107 I hane against an attachment, good
111 continuing the contact fight, an appreciable idea
115 beginning some difficult fighting, but I could have just played L4
123 inducing White to harm my stones
133 complete tactical failure

I think I played quite well in that game! What do you think?

2 Likes

Did you have a different name at that point? I don’t see you on my games list.
I see the game posted below and see SpiderMoney on my list. Neat!! I had no idea.

2 Likes

Lol that AI graph - put it through a full review just to watch the AI go “WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?” around move 60.

2 Likes

I remember when 7x7 Go was apparently “solved” on December 2, 2015 as a draw with a komi of 9. See Solved game - Wikipedia and 7x7 Board at Sensei’s Library (last edited by @bugcat, incidentally).

The original article relaying this information is now hidden. But if memory serves, the authors conceded that it was a weak proof, involving trial and error among several professionals with the help of a computer engine. To this day, no better lines have been discovered. Yet 7x7 Go still awaits a mathematical proof.

This led to my special interest in 9x9, which also continues to this day.

5 Likes

I think it was around that time that I first got interested in Go.

In late 2015, perhaps in late November, I found Sensei’s Library and started reading a lot of articles about all sorts of things, both about the game itself and the history of it.

That’s why my first 19x19 doesn’t look too bad when I finally got around to playing as 2016 began.

Well, this post marks the end of my playing involvement as a rememberer. I could continue participating with Eugene’s “I’ve heard about…” rules, but I was hoping more that older players like @teapoweredrobot, @Conrad_Melville, @trohde etc. would become more prominent in the game as younger posters dropped out and the memories moved gradually further back.

I’ll say that November 20th, 2015 is on the board, to pluck a date out of thin air. Remember, the aim of the game is to make the shortest possible jump further into the past.

2 Likes

Sorry, before I arrived here in Dec 2016, I knew nothing abut go history except what I had read in Lasker’s book and Bell’s general board game history.

4 Likes

I mean I could try and recall something about the Fan Hui AlphaGo game but I’m not sure if I’d be remembering exactly. I learned Go in 1995 or whenever deep blue beat Kasparov but only played with one friend for a year or two before life intervened and I had a near 20 year gap. I only really restarted in 2016/17 I think so probably not very useful for this game.

Plus all my memories from earlier would only be about my own game. I didn’t know about our follow anything about “the Go scene” at that point.

3 Likes

I remember when @xhu98 approached me to co-host Crazy Nines, a YouTube series on the 9x9 board.

CRAZY NINES w/ MARK5000: Episode 0 (Introductions) - YouTube

August 27, 2015.

5 Likes

Omg I never thought of taking notes like that. Is it an original system you devised? Absolutely bloody brilliant!

1 Like

Thanks!

I find it a clear method for relatively detailed review.

Y’know, it’s almost been a year now since we left this game. We could comb back over the last eleven months if we wanted to.

eg.

“I remember when Sofia’s mega rengo game started, way way back on February 8th…”

And the next memory would be slightly earlier, and so on and so on.

1 Like