I wish I didn't have to dismiss announcements twice

I seem to have to dismiss anouncements once in the top right corner and again on my home page.

Is that intended?

6 Likes

Actually it might be intentional. Especially if you are in a game you may dismiss the top-right one immediately while still wanting to check the announcement out later.

4 Likes

Closing the pop-up does not dismiss the announcement from the home page.
Dismissing the announcement from the home page should also close the pop-up.

4 Likes

It feels like the wrong way around to me. I don’t want to have to go to the home page to “get rid of” announcements…

2 Likes

It’s exactly as Kosh says, you may hastilly dismiss a pop-up during a game and wish to go back later to see what it was… but if you dismiss it from the homepage why would you still desire the pop-up to persist beyond that point?

1 Like

You don’t, really… if you’re not already on the home page anyway, then you won’t see them :man_shrugging: so it’s not like you have to go out of your way to go to your homepage to dismiss them, because once you close the pop-up that’s the only place they live…

1 Like

If you hastily dismiss a popup that you didn’t mean to, you can go and look in the announcement history.

Your occasional haste shouldn’t force me to have the inconvenience of “darn, I already dismisseed that” on a routine basis…

5 Likes

this feature was added long before announcement history, and many won’t know about AH since it’s buried in settings

1 Like

“Oh, darn, I deleted this announcement, what can I do?” seems to be a good way to learn about that…

I don’t feel very invested in this issue so I think I’ll bow out except to say that I agree with the ‘vibe of the thing’. It feels a little clunky/awkward atm. Maybe just not having non-urgent popups during games would suffice.

1 Like

You know full well that most people don’t think critically about problems like this. If they’re not already aware that a solution exists, most just ignore the problem quietly and a few will ask either in chat or the forums… but much less will go looking in site settings to see if that’s something they can change.

The WHOLE announcement system has needed an overhaul for a long time, it was never designed to do the things we are currently asking of it as we never envisioned the rise of Twitch or the possibility of international tournaments being played on our server. That overhaul is a huge project with no easy answers or quick fixes. Historically, we’ve done the best we can with what we have.

4 Likes

I feel like often some feel a duty for defending the status quo, even when a reasonable suggestion for a change is made. I think we all understand that developer time is limited, but that shouldn’t motivate dismissal of new ideas to improve the user experience of the site.

8 Likes

(I was recently justly accused of that crime myself - it’s an easy trap to fall into)

1 Like

I feel like often some are quick to tear down things that they think they don’t like, without really taking time to consider why they were put up in the first place and how many people requested them. Imagine if we just deleted every feature that anyone complained about without even engaging in discussion?

To be fair, I didn’t rush to tear it down, I asked if it was intended, and explained why I didn’t like it…

4 Likes

and to further be fair, I wasn’t defending the status quo, I was answering your question.

Ah hah. Ok.

So - the current conclusion is that it is “putatively intended”, but really not ideal, and the arguments for keeping it the way it is are not based on the current functionality available…

1 Like

Overhaul needed aside, I think having current announcements on the home page is better than needing to go to the history page. It is quite out of the way, and I for one prefer having announcements persist on the home page after the pop-up has been closed.

2 Likes

I think this takes us in the direction of Kosh’s solution. If you are dismissing popups without reading them, intending to go back to them at the home page where you will once again dismiss them after reading, then it tells us they should not be popping up in your game in the first place…

2 Likes

hmm… now that we have announcement categories (system, stream, tournament), maybe we could keep them all on the homepage but turn off the pop-up for a number of them? (not sure how much work that would actually be, but it seems doable)

3 Likes