I wish I didn't have to dismiss announcements twice

Largely irrelevant but I think they were above the menu and clearly separate from the site’s content… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So - could I ask that people debating where the announcements show up, do a separate thread for that?

Otherwise people get confused :wink:

All I’m asking for is that wherever it is that they show up, I don’t want to have to dismiss them twice.

I am so sick of the feeling of “hang on, didn’t I already dismiss this one”?

It’s fine for me if they show up on the home page. Just make them go away after dismissing them once.

1 Like

I’m still trying to understand this, as I don’t feel the need to dismiss the bar on the homepage (after all, this was a permanent component until literally 3 weeks ago). So if the bar is that bothersome, wouldn’t one want to get rid of it altogether?

I just want to make sure we’re getting to the root of the problem here :slight_smile:

1 Like

You joke, but I literally don’t clear the homepage announcements haha

1 Like

I think the root of the problem is that the announcement/notification system is not fit for purpose but sorting it out is a major job that is “on the to do list” but wont happen any time soon.
The immediate issue is that GaJ doesn’t want to dismiss things twice. The actual solution is to sort out the whole system so that notifications in the notification thing behave properly so that notifications appear there and behave consistently when you click/dismiss them and that announcements also appear there and the history is available from there is one click.

In the interim, if you’re going to have things appear in two places then dismissing both when you dismiss one seems like the right answer. If the problem is that “important” things might be accidentally dismissed then the solution I think BHydden suggested to not use the pop ups for less important things would be the way to go. That was there will not be the bazillion things to dismiss all the time anyway and if you get a pop interfering with your game at least you’ll know that it’s important and either take the time to note it before dismissing or follow it up in history maybe.

Anyway, my solution is to play in the android app and not see any announcements/notifications whatsoever - and I don’t miss them!

4 Likes

I hear that! And I am still questioning why the homepage notif needs to be cleared at all! The original bar was not removable at all, so the fact that this complaint comes up now might mean that one of the recent changes made the homepage notif less desirable. If that’s the case, I’d like to know!

It’s a good question. I don’t remember properly now how it used to work :smiley:

(which means it was nice and unobtrusive :wink: )

Here’s something that ironically I would not find irritating:

• Site announcement comes up top right, I dismiss it
  • Site announcement is still permanently on home page, until site takes it away.

This would send the message to me that:

1. I want you to know that this announcement appeared right now (top right popup)
  2. The site thinks this is important to have as a banner … probably until the problem is fixed or some such

In this case I don’t even start thinking about dismissing on the home page, because it’s not possible :slight_smile: I don’t have to take a mental tally of what I’ve seen and dismissed previously,

Maybe that’s how it was before?

I suspect the new change is that we’ve had a dramatic increase in announcements of a non-critical type, and that this is what’s caused them to be dismissable on the home page, because otherwise the home page would be cluttered with them. And as a result we ended up having to think about whether we already dismissed that one or not…

5 Likes

I would like a way to get the announcements when I’m not on the site at all; for example, when I’m doing something uninteresting and there’s a pro game on, to get a notification of sorts. Maybe it could be covered in a “group announcements” (that also come as mails) sort of way? Because I’m not usually on the homepage doing nothing, and if I’m doing something (like playing a game), I’ll probably not leave it. But that’s just a thought, I don’t actually think it could be easily implemented at this point.
Generally, though, whoever acts like a centralized announcements center in any “community”, tends to get traffic, so it might be worth it to consider it at some point. It needs backoffice work (cataloguing basically), but since not everyone has the same SNS preferences, knowing that “oh, I’ll see next week’s games on OGS, like everyone” could be a good thing.
Just my two cents, plz don’t kill me on a full moon, too many variables.

5 Likes

Lightglobe.

In dismissing the most recent this morning, I realised why this is so “not ideal”.

It’s because the dismissal from the home page is not just one click - it’s two clicks plus reading, interpretation, confirmation that the right option is being selected!

I have a feeling that this whole thing might be a lot less of an issue if the dismissal from the home page was a single easy click. I think that the option “hide all this type” is misplaced on the home page, because it’s forcing you to guess what type the current one is anyhow! That’s a really heavyweight set of actions to have to do every time.

So if that were changed to an x-to-dismiss, maybe it would be “voila, problem solved”!

3 Likes

That is what I was worried about. What you’ve described is exactly how it was before.

I have no problem with you doing the proposal from earlier in the thread, but maybe we should also consider addressing the actual problem (either too many announcements, or misguided “Hide this” option).

1 Like

… but it doesn’t say “Hide all this type”. It tells you what the type is, so you don’t have to guess! (I think the exact wording is “Hide event announcements” and “Hide stream announcements”)

1 Like

To me, if the main page bar is so easy to dismiss, then there isn’t much reason to keep it at all (since the pop-ups are like that and more visible anyway). What do you think?

The only reason I added the little triangle menu to the main page was for spammy streamers, not for use every single time an announcement pops up. So idk if it’s not doing its job, maybe we should consider moving it into a less displeasing place.

I like that part, being able to dismiss all of something is helpful, I’ve already used it for that purpose. Question: is “events” and “tournaments” the same? Paris Intl is under “events”, if I accidentally had dismissed another event would I have lost tournaments as well?

1 Like

puts on glasses :face_with_monocle:

Currently, yes. But the categories are a work in progress. If you feel “events” is too vague, then another category can be added pretty easily. Would be nice if we could come up with categories that cover everything uniquely (possibly a discussion for another thread).

1 Like

better not make much noise tonight, can’t be too careful :wink:

2 Likes