I wish I didn't have to dismiss announcements twice

Full disclosure: I have only skimmed over the back and forth of the last few comments.

What is the setting we’re proposing? As in exact wording- I want to make sure it’s something that makes sense to someone who doesn’t know too much about the site.

I’ve been on the site for 5+ years and have no idea what’s going on in the settings. I can’t imagine many people trying that page.

Or should I say Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.

4 Likes

Uh oh

Proposal:

A toggle, default off, that says “dismiss popup dismisses announcement”

• When you dismiss the popup for an announcement from any page, that popup should disappear from your home page
  • One toggle for each type of announcement.

Luckily, all the defaults are designed so that you don’t have to go in there and all the options are present so that if something is really bad for you, you can ask for help and get it.

This would be like that - folk who can’t stand dismissing announcements twice can have their hand held to find the necessary toggle to make it stop. IE your inability to understand the settings doesn’t mean they should not be there… the fact that you’ve never taken the time to learn them means everything must be basically good :wink:

3 Likes

I visit settings once each time something is introduced, tweak what I need to, and leave.

Once or twice I’ve visited just to windowshop.

6 Likes

I think it is odd if I am the one who misunderstood then why say what I said is not helpful? The solution I offered was fully 100% in your favor I wasn’t even going 50/50 I was going 1000% in your favor except for the part where you give us 50%.

I guess if it was me who misunderstood then I guess you don’t want a resolution to your problem. Case closed I guess…?

Now for my serious response of course that you will probably choose not to read since you clearly didn’t read any of the previous ones and choose just to say things like I am not helpful. Because your proposal makes things more clunky. I am not against doing it your way I am against adding a choice. I think we should only have to click it once. I don’t get why this isn’t to your liking. Its like your arguing just to argue.

“Omg you agree with me? How dare you!”

Interesting - in that case I did misunderstand.

I got this misunderstanding from

“So first I want to state my opinion I actually like the way it is.”

You did go on to say “you didn’t mind either way”, but then after that you said:

“So I guess what I am saying is we shouldn’t always think “This bothers me so let me change it or add an option to it.” Some things are just meant to be the way they are and meant to stay the way they are”

and

"I think OGS is clunky in general and that there are a lot of features that shouldn’t exist and features that should exist and that players are to comfortable with all the features they have been given.’

The only thing you said about clicking once is “When in reality its not something that should have been made to cater to those people.”

It’s pretty hard to arrive at “I think we should only have to click it once.” from all this.

So to be clear: you think that a change should be made, and that change should be clicking only once for everyone, in preference to having a setting?

Personally, I would rather add a setting that only people who care about it will look at, so those people can have the behaviour they want, and everyone else can carry on as if nothing happened…

… if only because the chances of actually changing it for everyone are close to zero, as you can read in the opinions of others above.

2 Likes

Yes this is the misunderstanding I was trying to clear up. I do like the way it is but I think “the way it is” is also clunky I like it because it “helps me” but just because it “helps me” does not mean it is the right way to do it. I think there are better ways to do it like the ones you suggested. I would rather it just “force” us to utilize the announcement history (or make it only show up on home page instead of show up in a game).

I don’t like the idea of adding an option because again if we make everything we don’t like an option we would have to many settings to configure. It is “better” to just pick a side and force others to follow. I think that “CLICKING IT ONCE” is the “BETTER” option because it is less clunky. A lot of people mistake the announcements showing up twice or three times as a “bug”. So even if I “like the way it is because it favors me” it “does not make it the right option”

(Hopefully that was understandable truth be told my sentencing and explanations have never been that great.)

1 Like

Cool - it’s great to have been able to clarify that.

I think that having an option to make everyone happy is generally a more viable proposal than forcing everyone in one direction, and in this instance because the clunky way does have a purpose.

Ironically, if we were to force “one click dismiss” on everyone, then the fast-dismissers would have to visit the settings pages to see the announcement history, which is what we don’t reallty want because the settings pages are (as mentioned above) really more for exceptions than day-to-day visiting!

2 Likes

Actually I don’t get why announcements are so hidden. The small upper right announcement is clunky and the only reason it gets noticed imho is because its an eye sore that its there. The fact there is no announcement page of its entirety is clunky. Announcements are generally “important information” but it is treated as if its not important.

Other go sites have anything you want to know or announcements listed on an announcements page or in an important section.

Isn’t the top of the home page an important section?

Not when its that tiny. To me it just tells me I better shift whatever is popping up out of the way quickly because it looks like an AD that I need ADBLOCK for lol.

1 Like

Lol this thread has me so confused :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

OGS has no ads… hasn’t for years, because our admin and supporters are awesome

4 Likes

I just meant it looks like an AD haha

2 Likes

In @Runite’s defense, I believe this is exactly where ads lived when they did exist

1 Like

Question: is there even a reason for the announcement bar if you’re going to dismiss it with pop-ups? If not, why not hide the thing altogether?

IMO the setting “Show announcements on homepage” (default on) is a little more straightforward.

1 Like

I only joined about a month ago so I wasn’t here when ads existed. But top of the side sides of the site definitely where they usually exist and they also pop up out of no where. Are also hard to get rid of and make you close them 2-3 times ;-). Starting to sound familiar?

1 Like

I think this would work too

3 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes