I wish I didn't have to dismiss announcements twice

The point is that if your home page is empty, you should start some games, immediately!

4 Likes

I would say maybe put a more prominent Play button there, like most of us have been asking, but I see someone is touchy about suggestions and I don’t want another round of “programmers do their best, worship them or shut up”.

1 Like

Yeah that’s it for sure. The number 4 contributor on GitHub doesn’t like talking about change :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yo I’m having trouble finding your name on the list, what’s your GitHub handle so I can see how much you contributed :wink:

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know only github contributors were allowed to have an opinion.

It’s not like it’s the forum for this site https://online-go.com/. where I’m a paying supporter (and a supporter in general, because the actual important programmer is not, like his minions, rude). Or I guess only Dan players and gold supporters are allowed to talk anyway.

1 Like

Cue to the usual level-headed veteran mod coming to tell us to behave in 5,4, 3…

Not even a Dan player… Guess I better shut up :rofl: actually site host isn’t dan either maybe he should close the site?

Anything else you feel like misrepresenting tonight?

You claimed your validity earlier, so Dan player doesn’t apply.

A’ight I’m out. You wanna hit me up without the hyperbole and misrepresentations you know where to find me hit me up any time for some real talk if you want. I’m too tired for a pissing contest.

1 Like

There’s a travel ban, so :woman_shrugging:

If BHydden is out, I’m up for a pissing contest. Are there prizes?

4 Likes

Please do it in your own thread for that purpose.

I think that the conclusion here was that a setting to allow dismiss on pop-up was the conclusion for what would be a good outcome here, right? (And that it would probably be turned off by default).

I hope we can dismiss event announcements by pop-up dismisal, separately of course. I could understand if that wasn’t an option thought.

1 Like

So first I want to state my opinion I actually like the way it is. Though I don’t mind if it was changed or if there was an option added I think I would also be okay with this as well.

I think features like this can be complicated because we have to remember that even though OGS is meant to be feature filled if we start giving everything an option then basically everything would have an option (lol). I know when I say this some might say “We are OGS though not another server!” But, just because we are OGS and not say FOX doesn’t mean that the general principles to creating a perfect go website shouldn’t apply.

Having options is great, but if you actually add “to many options” it will confuse a lot of people and I can speak from experience on this I already get lost in the settings and sometimes don’t understand things. This will actually scare people away. So while having options is great it can also lead to confusion if we add options that we can simply “deal with” (i.e you might “not want to have to close the announcement twice” but is adding another option “worth it”.) Remember there is so many features that can be added in the future so this might just be small now but piled on with a ton of other small “options” it can be a lot at some point.

So I guess what I am saying is we shouldn’t always think “This bothers me so let me change it or add an option to it.” Some things are just meant to be the way they are and meant to stay the way they are when at some point it will create a more confusing atmosphere. (I will say though :slight_smile: I think OGS is home to the smarter more intricate players which is probably why we all enjoy these feature filled things.)

Edit: and for the “clunky” comment made by someone earlier I just want to point out I might be in the minority on this but I think OGS is very clunky actually I think there are so many features that can make it really confusing. Like the game graph I think a lot of people who just start out look at it and wonder why it exist. It doesn’t have to its an “option” that it exist. Same for the game boards at the top you can have it list games without showing the board or you can have it show the board. It doesn’t have to exist and you can choose to remove it. But, the idea that there are options in the first place makes them clunky instead of telling players that if they want to see the board then they have to open the game or if you want a game you have to go to the games tab. Sometimes the right answer is telling a player they have to do these little extra task rather then creating methods around these things. (But, the fact that these make the site look clunky to me could also just be my opinion obviously).

2 Likes

I agree that we need caution adding options.

However, we have been “cornered” into it.

The implementor of the current situation agrees that it is clunky and awkward.

I think that eveyone can see that not everyoe would like having to dismiss annoucements twice, even some people don’t mind or even like it.

And not other solution to make it less clunky in that case has been proposed.

So this seems like the ideal time for an option: when we can see that “either way will have people who like it that way for good reasons”: the pefect time for an option.

2 Likes

I think OGS is clunky in general and that there are a lot of features that shouldn’t exist and features that should exist and that players are to comfortable with all the features they have been given.

I still wish I didn’t have to dismiss announcements twice.

1 Like

Ah last thing on this topic (sorry I noticed I may have made a misunderstanding) I like the way it is because I am one of those people who close announcements in a game without reading it. but I think making us close it twice is the clunky part of the feature. It is a feature that exist for those who may miss it. When in reality its not something that should have been made to cater to those people. Because it is the “extra”. Closing it once should be the “right way” regardless of if someone misses it or not or it should only show up in the home page. It is not a bad feature that it shows up on both it is just one of the CLUNKY features that caters toward those who miss it when in reality it shouldn’t be something catered toward but I do not believe in giving us options :slight_smile:

I find this observation unhelpful.

You are acknowledging that it is bad, and that “closing it once should be the right way”, but you are not in favour of any solution that fixes it.

So basically people who pay attention have to suffer because other people close them without looking.

I find this “dog in the manger” attitude sad. How much will it really affect you if there is an extra option in the announcements section of settings that you probably never look at anyhow? I can’t actually understand why, in a case where something is really broken, you would argue against a tidy way of fixing it? What possible downside is there to adding this option, other than some vague philosophical point about the number of options?

1 Like

Incorrect seems you didn’t understand or separate what I said. I will help you.

I like the way it is.

I am one of those people that close out of it when in a game so its useful to people like me.

I do think though that its a clunky feature that caters to people who close out of it in a game and that it should either only show up in the home page or just closing it once in any room should close it all the way.

I think you think just because I like the way it is means I shouldn’t think it should be changed. I do like the way it is. But, its clunky the way it is and adding an option makes it even more clunky. To make it less clunky people that close out of it in a game “should just deal with it and learn not to close it during a game if they are that interested in what it had to say”

Announcements should have a better section as well instead of a “announcements history”

In other words I am against the whole idea of everything being clunky and I would rather sacrifice features that are made to “make my life easier”.

If that wasn’t clear enough I don’t know what to tell you. If there is a middle ground then I would just say have it only show up in the home page.

And, on the note of “people who pay attention have to suffer”. This is called the snowflake response the world is suffering from everyone currently being snow flakes. Yes you would have to suffer because other people close them without looking.

Even if I am in favor of removing it. If this is what they choose in the end then “YES”.

Just because someone doesn’t like something doesn’t mean everything needs an option or has to change to cater to people having problems. There is no such thing as a correct or right solution because someone is always going to be upset for example. You say that we should add an option but I like a non clunky site so why should I suffer? You know why I should suffer? Because its normal that people have to deal with things they don’t always like.

I am not saying that you can’t make a suggestion like you have. Just that I wouldn’t make the argument “Why should I have to suffer” because in the end one side is going to suffer regardless and maybe even some unknown sides that you don’t know about.

I think you’re the one who misunderstood, but this is what communication is all about, isn’t it - getting on the same page :slight_smile:

Let’s recap.

Fact: There are people who like it the way it is.

Fact: You like it the way it is.

Obervation: Everyone agrees that the way it is is clunky.

Fact: There are people who do not like it the way it is.

Observation: for these people there is a daily irriration caused by this.

Fact: There is a proposal to add a setting so that

• the people who do not like it the way it is can change it, and
  • the people who do like it the way it is never have to notice: they don’t experience any change.

Question: why would you object to this proposal?

2 Likes