I'm a Go player, of course I __________

Let’s start this for Go as well. Sorry if it has already been posted.

I’ll start:

I’m a Go player, of course I see any surface with intersections as a Go board.

4 Likes

I don’t think it has, but you might get a kick out of the YKYAAGA thread :grinning:

4 Likes

Seems to be essentially the same as the thread that benjito cited.

2 Likes

9 Likes

I’m a go player, of course I posted in the YKYAAGA thread.

9 Likes

Well I would say “addict” is a strong word and this one is more casual and is open to more funny and creative posts some even seemingly unrelated :smile:

4 Likes

I’m a Go pedant, ogf course I understand the nuances and fine distinctions that characterize and distinguish the various meme threads in this forum

8 Likes

I’m an online-go Forumite, of course “of” autocorrects to “ogf”

11 Likes

The thread is humorous, not serious.

1 Like

Sharing some funny ones I saw:

I’m a go player, so of course I have two eyes

I’m a Go player, of course I park on the line intersections and not within the rectangles of the lot.

9 Likes

For those not familiar the format
“I’m a __ of course I __” is trending in short form content right now. Whereas the previous “you know you’re a __ when…” is now an old meme for boomers :wink:

10 Likes

Is “boomer” now slang for anyone not up on the newest internet fad? if so, I’d actually be quite pleased with the semantic shift, as I don’t like the whole generation thing conflating slight statistical differences between largely arbitrary groups with information about individuals. If one wants to generalize about people of a similar age at one time or another, I think rather than talking about people born in a certain range, it makes more sense to talk about people within a certain age range at the present. So make generalizations about teenagers and how those generalizations shift over time, great. So long as you don’t conflate what describes the population with what describes the individual

2 Likes

Boomer is a now and already old word due to aging discrimination

1 Like

I’m a Go player, of course.

12 Likes

As a non-native speaker, it’s already a challenge to learn slang words of various English speaking countries. It will be even more challenging to keep up with the latest fads of those various slangs.

Like, I used to think that boomers are the generation of my mother, who was born in 1951. Is the meaning of “boomer” now shifting to mean 55+ year old people (born between 1945 and 1970), or something like that? Or perhaps even younger?

3 Likes

We are Go players, so of course we digress to linguistics in every forum discussion.

13 Likes

I always assumed until reading this thread that it referred to people born to families after the husband came back from WWII, but maybe you’re right that it has shifted

4 Likes

A poor excuse for redundancy.

I see I’ve quickly sidetracked the thread.
Boomer is indeed related to the generation of people known as the baby boomers. My word choice was meant to be facetious saying anyone who isn’t absolutely up-to-date on the latest fad is “old”.

It’s not a dig at older folks (whatever that might mean to you) but rather I only just recently learned of this trend, so it was a tease to those who don’t know of it.

BUT! Now you all know so we can be hip together :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(got this one from someone in reddit)

I’m a Go player, of course I try and teach everyone I meet!

5 Likes