Images of newer times

I wonder if they finished that game, that has to take all day.

4 Likes

Just take the weekend off and you will be allright :slight_smile:

6 Likes

35 Likes

Lovely! This reminds me of a B&W photo in a famous exhibit at, I think, the NY Museum of Modern Art, in the 1950s. I believe the title of the whole exhibit was “The Family of Man,” which was collected in a book of that title. Like this, it showed a very young girl and an old man hunched over a game of checkers on a park bench. I actually used that photo for a high school assignment to write a story based on a photo. Years later I sold a revised version, which then took second place in a contest. So, this composition really resonates with me!

7 Likes

If you can still find the picture, post it here!

Scene from a Beautiful Mind, where they play a lot of Go - although the board in this scene looks awfully dense, and the kill by John Nash’ opponent doesn’t seem really… well have a look for yourself:

Nash afterwards famously re-invented the game of Hex:

8 Likes

The final play could be the last liberty on all the black stones we see to the right. It appears a legit winning move to me?

1 Like

Yes, but would a genius as Nash not have anticipated that one, linking the black group to the outside earlier?

1 Like

I guess we all miss spotting things from time to time :smiley: Nash’s mind was proably on what next big thing he was going to do, completely missing the fact that he wasn’t connected out through that hole. I’ve fallen for that exact same thing so I can sympathise (though obviously I’m not a genius). At least the play is vaguely realistic, as opposed to obviously wrong :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Own produce. In a park in Beijing, 2016

IMG_0987

Zoom on board:

IMG_0988

15 Likes

Holiday lunch on the Gold Coast

14 Likes

Getting stoned at lunch again, eh?

Mogadeet

8 Likes

Take me to this park, please :wink:

23 Likes

14 Likes

Me too…

2 Likes

lunch looks gooood!

1 Like

Real Life Go:

21 Likes

Real life chess I can understand: the pieces move around. But being a placed go stone doesn’t sound like much fun!

10 Likes

I believe Gu Li and Lee Sodol had a match in this location with this live set up. They played on a board and the people matched the moves. It is a very artistic presentation!

7 Likes

I guess I’d just doze away … “nudge me when I’ve been killed” :smiley:

11 Likes