Images of newer times

Real estate weiqi show room (shared with a small tea shop) Weishan Yunnan.

Note: the thing with black and white dots on the wall is a light.

16 Likes

I see.
It has weird positions on it, like captured stones not removed

4 Likes

that dog head should have much thicker lines

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

@Samraku’s hand-drawn kifu of the Haze–Gia–Samraku tricolour balancing game, from June:

4 Likes

Crossposting game3 of the 9x9 random gaps + pie rule go variant.

game3end_500

6 Likes

Chinese students play Go at Suzhou Nanhuan Center Primary School in Suzhou city, east China’s Jiangsu province, April 30, 2008

8 Likes

Corona in China already in 2008! I knew it.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

Let’s be real for a moment - the Beijing Olympics mascots were the best mascots of any Olympic games. This isn’t an “I like them better”, it’s that they’re the only ones where I would believe that a design firm was hired instead of someone forgetting their mascot submission was due and pulling their 4-year-old’s best drawing off the fridge to turn in.

EDIT: I left out crucial info for this to be relevant. The characters on the children’s crowns are the Beijing Olympics mascots.

London, were you like “Pokemon are cool, let’s make a weird bus pokemon thing”

Athens, just, come on. Also, WHY does one of them have weird circle-with-an-X boobs drawn on their shirt?! :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

and Tokyo 2021 looks like as if it was designed by SEGA Sonic Team)

Cover of the album One Foot on Either Side of the Ladder by The Mole

With thanks to frankiii’s blog

6 Likes

BGA badges, 2018, from Junior Go Grade Badges | British Go Association

The British Go Association has introduced a series of badges, available for juniors, to reward their progression through the Go grades. Guidelines are available to organisers of youth clubs who issue badges so that youngsters with the same badge should be about the same ability. They cover grade bands of players from those who just learnt the rules through to those in the single kyu grades. The ultimate badge to collect, with the flame motif extra, is the one for making it to the Dan grades.

For more information contact Alison Bexfield (Youth Squad Coordinator) at ynews at britgo.org

With thanks to teapoweredrobot for his post Teaching go to kids in Europe - #17 by teapoweredrobot

9 Likes

A newer drawing of an olden player, the 2014 (?) Google doodle of Shusaku

I found zchenmike!

Michael Chen (8d) playing simultaneous games with 5 players that were around SDK players (i.e., 1k to 9k).

1st Washington Open Baduk Championship, 2014, from BenZenGo’s blog post on the event.

For those who don’t know him, Mike is a regular streamer. He’s been a very strong player for over fifteen years.

Blind players using a haptic (touch-friendly) board, in which the empty moku look to be indicated by indentations.

Courtesy of the MySanRenSei blog.

Go Seigen with Iyama Yuta and Yamashita Keigo, presumably in 2014 on the occasion of his hundredth birthday. Again from MySanRenSei.

11 Likes

Found in the Olympics Google Doodle game! It’s on one of the boats in the archery village (northwest).

14 Likes

And in the northern village too!

12 Likes

If you try to play on the open goban in that second picture (I think you have to try to play as black), it laments not having anyone to play with, lol.

6 Likes

Not all that new, but I filled up my space in the olden times thread.

A 20 or 21 year old Manfred Wimmer, 1964.

5 Likes

Spoiler: the guy answers jump.

16 Likes

I can just say that the answers are cleverly designed.

5 Likes

19 Likes