Impoliteness

@S_Alexander At the beginning of each game, there is a listing of etiquette in which one of them is to greet your opponent
@Here_We_Go
This is another red herring. At no time did I say chat. I stated politeness referring specifically to greeting your opponent. It is also polite to thank them as well. If you want to chat there is this forum. aye.

@Mulsiphix1 I agree. I always say hello and I often include something like, enjoy the game. I also thank my opponent for the game. If they leave in a hurry. I still send them a message. Yet, I am the one indefinitely ban (without notice).

1 Like

My point is that it’s not necessarily rude/impolite to not say “hello”, “thank you”, “goodbye” or “that’s a nice hat you’re wearing”.

3 Likes

Ironic that someone who would berate an opponent like this during a game would complain about not getting a hello or not understand that they have a chat ban.

2 Likes

This is categorically false.

There is no requirement or etiquette at OGS in which you are obliged to greet your opponent.

This is documented here.

Nobody is required to say anything in chat. Some people are unable to say anything in chat.

There is a requirements at OGS that you not berate or abuse your opponent for any reason, including whether they speak to you, whether they accept an undo, whether you think their rank is correct or any other reason.

If you have a problem with another player, report it.

If you want to retain the privilege to chat at OGS, be nice in chat.

(My mind boggles at the idea that someone can at the same time hold in their head the idea that it is necessary to be polite and greet people, and at the same time think that it is OK to berate poeple for not greeting. A polite person ignores another persons impoliteness. But that’s just me).

5 Likes

So your point is it is ok to ignore your opponent? If you want to turn this into a ad hom be my guest.

@Eugene
At no time, did I suggest nor intimated that there was a written rule of any sort. When you start a game online, you are virtually sitting in front of an opponent. It would be both rude and very odd to say nothing to your opponent.

You would think someone who is with the “OGS Team” would not resort to repeated ad homs. Your combative posting is very ironic considering what you are saying about me. But by all means, dig up more dirt, and still doesn’t change the fact it is polite to greet and thank your opponent. And, it is indeed rude to not to do so.

In your opinion.

Which is not universally shared.

We are in a global community here and have to work with a range of opinion and cultures.

There are a range of topics where agreement will not be reached as to what is “correct behaviour”. Whether you should reply to a greeting, whether you should issue one, is one of those topics. Another similar one is whether you should ask for an undo, and whether you should accept one.

In the face of these different opinions in our community, one thing is certain: you are not allowed to abuse your opponent in chat. You are not even allowed to “take it up with them” as to whether they should accept an undo, or reply to your greeting. These two are specifically not allowed, because we know that they are vexed topics.

It’s actually as simple as that.

4 Likes

There are people who find saying hi is not enough

There are people who are offended by gl hf, not enough effort

There are people who are offended when opponent says thank you too soon

There are people who like to engage in smalltalk and there are people who find it annoying. Is it rude to start a smalltalk, or is it rude not to respond?

There are people who cannot talk - chatban, not providing an email for new account, blocked chat on school computers.

There are people (mainly children) who are simply embarrased, scared, or prohibited to talk online

There are people who say we talk with the stones and the words are superfluous
What is too much, what is too little, nobody can know. There are dozens of possible reasons.

Yes, I also like to greet my opponents, but if they don’t want to, why not be emphatetic? In my old age I have found that when one is not deliberately looking for offense, there usually is none. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Hmmm :smirk:

1 Like

I have seen this with the last three times this topic was brought up.

My theory is that people who get agitated by not being greeted must lack the compassion or social skills to imagine other people being in circumstances where greeting is not possible / desirable / customary / etc. They can’t fathom that other people are in a different situation with regard to exchanging greeting than themselves. Since this is inherently egocentric, it also explains their rude behaviour.

4 Likes

OMG, could you please stop with the red herring!?!
I specifically referring to any greeting in any language as a bare minimal. A thank you after the game would also be very nice. That’s it. That s the extent of the discussion.

@AdamR
I will repeat, I am specifically talking about “any” greeting as if you are in front of a real person.
As I previously stated, every person I am referring to have 100s or 1000s of games, so being a new account is not the issue.

I’ve read through most of what has been said above. I skipped over the bits that went on a bit much, but I have a fairly good grasp of the conversation.

So this is my response.

1. No one is obligated to speak to anyone.
  2. This is online. If you were playing in person and didn’t greet an opponent then it would be rude.
  3. Language barriers are a thing.
  4. Mental health is a thing. And as a person with mental health issues I feel I’m qualified to say that sometimes, you just don’t want to talk to anyone at all, and you just want to play.
  5. Number 4, applies to those who do not have mental health problems. Sometimes, a person just does not want to be social and that is absolutely fine.
  6. The OP’er is the one being rude. And I’m quite honestly disgusted at the behaviour he has shown.
  7. It seems to me that reguardless of the situation the OP’er is simply looking to complain about something utterly meaningless.

Given that offence is a purely subjective thing as is pointed out by @AdamR, there is absolutely no reason to ever complain about this.

And this isn’t the first time I’ve seen this sort of conversation on the forums either. And it always seems to be more of the same verbage being tossed around. Frankly, I’m offended that yet again we find ourselves in one of these topics, giving attention to a non issue, and a person who just wants to start an argument for the sake of starting an argument.

The lesson to take away here is that it’s perfectly fine not to engage in the chat. And it’s perfectly fine to ignore a person if you don’t want to, or cannot speak to a person. Anyone who says otherwise is the one being rude. Denying a person the right not to engage in the chat, is arguably the most rude thing a person can suggest.

I suggest, that people simply try not to let their ego’s get the better of them. That we instead react with kindness instead of anger, and just let one another be. It really isn’t difficult.

You never know what another person is going through in their real life. And no one needs this kind of rudeness being thrown at them.

The old adage goes, 'If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. ’

Honestly… At this point… This thread though be locked. Nothing worth debating is going to come up. And it’s just going to cause more anger and repetition.

Sorry if I came across as insulting in this… That was not my intention. But when the same topic comes up, over and over again…it just frustrates me beyond all reason.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

You fail to realise two things.

1. You cannot enforce a rule that demands people to interact with people.

2. Not everyone wants to interact… And that is fine.

What part of that are you not getting?

3 Likes

The reason the thread is not locked is because it is important for folk to be able to share their opinions about this.

The topic does come up from time to time, and each time it does we have a thread like this where the pulse of opinion is taken.

Once again we are seeing the same result as the times before: generally people understand that while individually some commenters find it polite to greet, most agree that it is not something to get worked up about, and understand that not everyone likes greetings.

So far we have only one dissenting voice on this point, coming with the opinion that all people should be expected to follow a specific ettiquette on it. But it is important to allow for others, if they want to come forwards.

5 Likes

Yes, greeting your opponent, wishing them an enjoyable game and then thanking them are all character traits of an egotist. It is interesting how you bent over backwards to excuse impolite behavior but you are quick to assume a negative trait from someone who exhibit polite etiquette. What a very strange world we live in

1 Like

@PikeStance I wasn’t talking to you, but commenting on how people who insist on being greeted are generally rude.

3 Likes

Let me repeat as well, there are dozens of possible reasons…

To share a fun personal storry I once broke the H letter on my keyboard :smiley: “i” and “ello” seemed odd. I eventually settled on greetings, but think some people might have thought it rather weird :smiley:

5 Likes

I always feel bad on IGS, because with the iOS client I use I have absolutely no idea how to send a chat message. My opponent will say “hi” or something in a language I don’t understand, but I have to just nod and silently say “sorry, I don’t know how to type on this thing” to the air.

On OGS I try to be polite, but I understand when others don’t or can’t reply.

At least this isn’t Hearthstone, where the masses have twisted things up so badly that any greeting is considered rude. They project their own cynical sarcasm onto everyone else to the point where “Hello” is considered a personal attack.

2 Likes

“'ello guv’na” doesn’t need an “H”. You’re golden.

11 Likes

This is my fav response! If someone opened a conversation on OGS with that, I’d most certainly respond to that. xD.

3 Likes

Funny story. When I started playing on pandanet everyone played very similarly and used the same greeting-farewell (because of automated messages) so I thought I get paired with bots. In each game I tried to ask questions or solicit any response. Massive amount of opponents didn’t answer anything.

1 Like