Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

“A” is the sensible answer, but for some reason I really enjoy the other pluralisations, especially the -i ones. They feel fancy to me.

Whatever catches on, since there are no firm rules in English, but instead just observations of the patterns that many people follow.

4 Likes

Miss an option: varies (not only by excluding some languages)

2 Likes

Suppose I’m an archeologist and I borrow the Ancient Greek word xiphos (sword), to refer to a particular type of sword from Ancient Greece.

Now suppose I want to discuss, in an academic paper, a grave in which I found two of these swords. Should I use:

• xiphos (no pluralisation)
  • xiphoses (English plural)
  • xiphe (Greek plural)
  • xiphei (Ancient Greek dual form)

0 voters

My choice xiphei because it’s an academic paper (readers may understand)

2 Likes

Hmm, had to vote last week, but actually it was yesterday and it was not one but three campfires I lighted :grin:

1 Like

But either ξίφη in Greek letters or xiphoses if in English letters. Shit, this stuff is complicated, I’m glad I write in German. Just say 'swords of the xiphos-type".

1 Like

xiphi?

:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m curious: Since you can take back your like and then re-award it a certain amount of times within 10 minutes, what would happen if that like would send a notification?

Say there was a post with 9 likes. Then you like it, pushing it to 10 likes, thus giving the poster the “Nice Reply” badge. If you remove it, then the post is knocked down to 9 likes again. Would the badge still be there? Or would it be removed, as the post no longer has 10 likes?

If you like it again, would it give the poster an additional badge? Would it send an additional notification?
If you leave it, and wait for someone else to like it, would the poster earn another badge?

The first like on a post also gives a notification. Would liking it and removing the like repeatedly send several “User has liked your post” notifications?

Here are some of my posts with 9 likes:

I promise I’m not begging for the badge :sweat_smile:

Anyway, if you have posts with 9 likes and want to see what happens, you can post them here, and I’ll do the honors.

And if you want to be the first person to like this post, PLEASE unlike it and like it a few times!

5 Likes

I liked and unliked your post several times in a row, but then Discourse complained that I was doing it too many times and gave me a 60 second timeout.

3 Likes

THE RESULTS COLUMN

Result of @yebellz 's actions (liking and unliking several times, and receiving a 60-second timeout)

I got the notification when the post was liked, but then the notification disappeared when the post was not liked.

I have gotten the timeout message when trying to like and unlike an old post out of curiosity, but I never experimented further because I was worried about what the consequences of my actions would be.
4 Likes

Got 52s temporisation After a few (5-6?)

I did it as well and after four times (2 likes+ 2 unlikes) I received the timeout message. After closing it, though, I was still able to like and unlike as I pleased, with the only annoyance of the timeout message appearing again and again. It kept counting without refreshing, regardless of the fact that I was still breaking the rule.

2 Likes

Did you get a badge for the necro-post?

1 Like

Actually, I was just curious about the timeout, since @yebellz had already liked the older posts, so I just liked @Starline’s message in this thread.

2 Likes

How do you pronounce tsuke (attachment)?

• Whatever this thing is: /t͡sɨᵝke̞/, aka how the Japanese say it
  • An attempt at how the Japanese say it, which brings in that t͡s sound
  • /tu:kɛ/ “tooke”
  • /tu:keɪ/ “tookay”
  • /tu:kə/ “tooka”
  • /tu:ki:/, “tooky”
  • /su:kɛ/ “sooke”
  • /su:keɪ/ “sookay”
  • /su:kə/ “sooke”
  • /su:ki:/ “sooky”
  • I start with /z/
  • I start with /ʃ/ “sh”
  • I use /g/ for K
  • I use /tʃ/ “ch” for K
  • I shorten the first vowel to /ʊ/, like in “foot”
  • I shorten the first vowel to ʌ, like in “cup”
  • I omit the final vowel
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

How do you pronounce haengma?

• /hæŋmə/ “hangma”
  • /hɛŋmə/ “hengma”
  • /heɪŋmə/ “haingma”
  • With a long final vowel
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

Which of these pairs do you pronounce the same?

• Fury — Furry
  • Affluent – Effluent
  • Eight — Ate
  • Example — Egg sample
  • Exit — Egg sit
  • Ask — Axe
  • Gem — Jim
  • Euthanasia — Youth in Asia
  • Nine — Nein
  • Which — Witch
  • Wait — Weight
  • Fairy — Ferry
  • Bare — Bear
  • Nun — None
  • Sun — Son
  • One — Won
  • Two — To
  • Site — Sight
  • Toon — Tune
  • Sell — Cell

0 voters

2 Likes

After we fill this in, will you guess where we live? :D

I think my pronunciation of none is inconsistent between “nun” and “non”. The euthanasia question is a bit hard because that vowel is so unstressed.

3 Likes

Group the following words into subsets that you pronounce the same:

• Color
  • Colour
  • Collar
  • Caller
  • Culler

For me, it is:

• color — colour — culler
  • collar — caller
3 Likes