Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

color and colour are just variant spellings, no? Unless you’re going to put on an accent.

colo(u)r, culler
collar
caller

2 Likes

Oh shit, that wasn’t you, that was le_4TC (I made a stupid mistake~)

O //// O

You two do have similar avatars.

Color

:cowboy_hat_face:

Colour

:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

It’s just a ts sound, the brow is there to show that the language considers it to be a single sound, and not two sounds (in fact, Japanese will consider the initial consonant in “tsu” and “ta” and “chi” to be the same).

The u in tsuke is nearly silent. I’m not sure what the β in your IPA means, but if it’s that, then it’s good.

2 Likes

I was going to embed the Ogg file that Wiktionary presents the audio in, but Discourse won’t allow that D:

Here is the sound that they associate with that IPA: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Ja-Tsu.oga

How do you pronounce the first syllable of et cetera?

• Like “et”
  • Like “ek”

0 voters

Alright, but that only works in isolated cases. In tsuke it would be silent: see this video for example.

1 Like

The more interesting point is the C: hard in Latin, but soft in accepted English idiom.
In English I’d use the soft c, in Latin the hard.

How do you pronounce ego in English?

• /i:goʊ, -əʊ/ “eego”
  • /eɪgoʊ, -əʊ/ “eygo”

0 voters

I agree on the first syllable to have the vowel æ, but I wouldn’t pronounce the last vowel with an /ə/, but with an /ä/ (which is half-open, somewhere between /a/ and /α/). Also, like in Japanese or Chinese, all syllables take the same length in Korean, so I would pronounce both syllables with equal length.

I did just check how Koreans would say it, and it looks like I was pronouncing it right from the start :stuck_out_tongue: I now feel like I’m a natural Korean speaker.

2 Likes

Building on my last shogi poll, which of these designs best represents the osho or king-general, which has the movement of an international chess king?

• 1 two kanji
  • 2 one kanji
  • 3 movement pattern
  • 4 chess symbol
  • 5 letter
  • 6 kanji + movement pattern
  • 7 kanji + chess symbol
  • 8 kanji + letter
  • 9 chess symbol + movement pattern
  • 10 letter + movement pattern

0 voters

1 Like

(although my own set, which I bought two weeks ago, only has single characters)

• Go
  • not even Go

0 voters

It’s some level at go, there is better locally to play, but it’s not completely no sense.

Besides this, even filling one of two eyes is still go, just time for some discovery.

2 Likes

This is actually joseki … or was, at least. Not sure about its status now, but I know that I have happily played that move.

1 Like

It’s a hypermodern joseki introduced by bots. Waltheri still has no reference for it, but I think it has seen professional play by now. From what I can tell, Waltheri’s last update was in March.

The traditional and attractive human move is the hane, continuing with an atari-cut, connection, and ladder (if possible).

I got the idea from a Yeonwoo vid in which she said something like "If I played this move as a student, my teacher would say “This isn’t even Go!”

6 Likes

It has been on josekipedia for quite a while though. I remember playing this in a live game last year, but by giving it my own spin (I let the two stones be squeezed to gain sente elsewhere - joseki in the upper right):

See the debate on what joseki exactly means, which was had in September at Multiple mistakes in OGS Joseki position

I only use the term joseki (in a strict sense) to refer to sequences that have seen repeated professional play, with a significant recurrence of use in relatively neutral local and global contexts.

In my opinion, neither endorsement and play by bots or amateurs can truly confer joseki status, or the sequence being added to Josekipedia, OGS Joseki, or any other constructed sequence library. These sequences without professional play behind them are, well, just sequences.

The point of having professionals decide what is joseki and not is that they used to be the strongest players. Nowadays AI is stronger, so it is natural to expand the definition of joseki sequences to include AI moves. To stubbornly stick to only copying humans is a weird choice, but if you do so you’ll end up with the same joseki anyways, since all the pros are copying AI moves :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
  • go
  • Go
  • goh
  • Goh
  • goe
  • Goe
  • GO

0 voters

I mainly see Go online, but a lot of go in printed sources. I also see GO around sometimes, only online. I think goh is used a fair bit in old (eg. pre-war) literature (cf. noh). goe is the Ing spelling.

I think the macron in would be an elegant way to exploit free searchspace.

My problem with goh, gō and goe, is that these all reinforce the idea that it’s a long “o” sound, which it isn’t.

Using an umlaut makes absolutely no sense to me.

2 Likes