Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

I am a complete game addict. I don’t count the time I gave to it in hours but in years…
I like especially endless games, I started with Baldur Gates in it’s time, did follow with Skyrim (fully modded ofc) . Not only RPG. Civ 3-4-5 (modded too). DIablo in solo to the hell. The Sims mainly the 3, a bit of 4. Fully modded as always. I had multigenerational games of Sims with full rebuild of maps, family trees covering pages of notebooks. Virtual is fun you spend nothing and drive your Bugatti Veyron down the hill on a highway in Hawaii. And you need some hard work still to get it.
I play WWII games like blitzkrieg.
It’s like 5 years my computer is in bad state,vi have to shake it sometimes and many window things just don’t work like I can’t listen music anymore.
But I can still play some old games: OTTD, warzone 2100, patrician 3 (4 is boring) Diablo City in motion.
That last game for ex, I made big nice maps I could share, one map could be like a few months to do.
I am bit out of the real world in fact when I think how a huge part of my life I put in that and how it’s like nothing will have some future in somewhere else from that.

Once I played online for a year. Travian old style, I was pretty good at that, did even win a server at the head of one of the main alliance. But I forbid myself to do it again and restrict to solo games, it was far too much and killed a lot of my real life. It’s hard to explain you have to put the clock in the middle of night for an incoming attack.

2 Likes

Would those not fall under sword & shield / RPG?

No, I mean Myst, Rime, Syberia and so on… graphic adventures

1 Like

I was specifically thinking of Myst when I made the point & click category.

I wasn’t thinking of “idle games” like Cookie Clicker, which should probably go into company builder.

Yep. That’s the only one I picked. :grin:
Although Rime isn’t actually point and click.
Now I’m trying Haven. Nice graphics but too much “harvest food and fight creatures” so far.

I wanted to play Journey, but I didn’t so far

3 Likes

What is the biggest tragedy?

Waking up on a Sunday to realize…

  • you’re out of coffee/ bread etc
  • your internet/ power/ water is out
  • you forgot to do an important work thing on Friday

0 voters

3 Likes

What’s your preferred way to read “large pig snout”, the Chinese name for the English J group?

  • 大豬嘴 (trad.)
  • 大猪嘴 (sim.)
  • ㄉㄚˋㄓㄨˉㄗㄨㄧˇ (bopomofo, here with Mandarin tones)
  • da zhu zui (unmarked pinyin)
  • dà zhū zuǐ (accented pinyin)
  • da⁴ zhu¹ zui³ (numbered pinyin)
  • 大豬嘴 ㄉㄚˋㄓㄨˉㄗㄨㄧˇ (hanzi + bopomofo)
  • 大猪嘴 da zhu zui (hanzi + unmarked pinyin)
  • 大猪嘴 dà zhū zuǐ (hanzi + accented pinyin)
  • 大猪嘴 da⁴ zhu¹ zui³ (hanzi + numbered pinyin)
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

tbh I feel a little bit bad for doing marked pinyin, as it as an admission that I’m too lazy to keep up with my hanzi studies…

1 Like

I have just no foundation for selecting any answer at all to this question.

2 Likes

In French, would this be “Grand @Groin”?

6 Likes

What do you call the milk in the can that has some percentage of water taken out (I ommitted identifying words on purpose)?

    • Condensed milk
    • Evaporated milk
    • Something else

0 voters

Basically I want to rant about cooking channels that use

evaporated milk/ condensed milk/ sweetened condensed milk

interchangeably and I have to squint in the video and try and guess from the colour/ texture what exactly each person means.

2 Likes

As I understand it, the difference between condensed milk and evaporated milk is sugar content: condensed milk is sweetened; evaporated milk is unsweetened.

5 Likes

Ah, exactly the problem I run into.

Technically, evaporated= condensed.

But because in some places condensed is regularly sweetened, for some people condensed= sweetened, when in fact condensed+sweetened is a different product.

1 Like

And don’t get me started with the fact that US cups are different than UK cups :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

I just pick a cup from my cupboard and fill it, whenever there’s a cup required of something. We have 1dL but also 2.5dL cups, so I usually have to use my own judgement.

Unless you’re baking it doesn’t really matter anyways :wink:

3 Likes

I usually just eyeball things, even when baking. To the horror of onlookers, but things usually turn out OK, so I continue to live dangerously. :wink:

2 Likes

I heard it the other way around:

Condensed = sweetened condensed; and evaporated is a different product. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I didn’t mean for milk specifically, but isn’t condensed thingie= concentrated thingie? As in, water was taken out? So, condensed= evaporated?

1 Like

Yes, there is tension between my understanding and my expectation.

1 Like

Wiktionary offers these definitions:

condensed milk Milk that has been reduced and sweetened to the consistency of syrup.

evaporated milk Milk that has been concentrated by evaporation, often sold canned.

I also found this American legal definition on the evaporated milk Wikipedia page (paraphrased):

According to the United States Code of Federal Regulations (…) evaporated milk is (…) obtained by partial removal of water only from milk.

  • It contains >= 6.5% milk fat
  • >= 16.5% milk solids not fat
  • and >= 23% total milk solids.

Evaporated milk contains added vitamin D (…) It is homogenized. It is sealed in a container and so processed by heat, either before or after sealing, as to prevent spoilage.

The Canadian legal definition, meanwhile, says that it contains >= 7.5% milk fat and >= 25% milk solids and does not demand the addition of Vitamin D.

1 Like