Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Yes, but Wikipedia says

Condensed milk is cow’s milk from which water has been removed. It is most often found with sugar added, in the form of sweetened condensed milk, to the extent that the terms “condensed milk” and “sweetened condensed milk” are often used interchangeably today. Wikipedia

In any case, in cooking videos it really depends on the country the cook is, and not even consistently.

BTW, I don’t know about English, but Wiktionary in Greek is notoriously unreliable.

1 Like

English (the language itself, not the wiki) is notoriously unreliable as well.

As a native English speaker (although admittedly not much of a cook), I don’t understand the difference in implications between “condensed” vs “evaporated” milk products. I would have to check the label to see if there’s sugar, and if a cook on TV is saying it, then that would require guesswork.

I think you hit the nail on the head here:

3 Likes

When I say I squint in the video, I ain’t joking (not that I ever follow recipes to the letter, but it makes a difference if there’s sugar in there). Usually if it’s more syrupy and yellowish it’s sweetened, but I think some Thai (?) channel had a sweetened one that was runny and off-white, I think it was a local product though, to be fair.

1 Like

A lot times, TV cooks don’t specify if they are using salted or unsalted butter, but one can always use their judgement and context, or even try it both ways to see which is better.

2 Likes

I admit I had to look up the difference.

You can buy both condensed and evaporated milk in the UK, so I knew that they were different products, but I couldn’t remember what differentiated them.

2 Likes

I didn’t know salted butter existed for years. I don’t think it’s widely sold here, either.

3 Likes

For me, salted butter is the “default butter” for spreading on bread, cheese biscuits etc.

I wouldn’t think to use unsalted butter outside of baking or some cooking recipes. It lives in the same mental cupboard as the margarine and lard.

Salted butter is also what I’d use for frying without olive oil, eg. mushrooms.

4 Likes

Cultural differences hahahaha

3 Likes

What is the best color wheel pair?

  • Red + Green
  • Yellow + Purple
  • Blue + Orange

0 voters

I never vote first in my polls, as you can imagine I have strong feelings :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The question can, if you want, be examined in the context of heraldry.

In heraldic custom, there are two major groups of tincture: “colours” (dark) and “metals” (light).

To ensure maximum recognition, a colour should never touch another colour and a metal should never touch another metal.

The colours are gules, red; sable, black; azure, blue; vert, green; purpure, purple; murrey, “mulberry”, like a dark puce or red-wine colour; sanguine, “blood red” or crimson, and tenné, “tawny” or ginger.

There are only two traditional metals: or (gold, yellow, orange) and argent (silver, white).

That leaves purple & yellow as the valid pair purpure & or and blue & orange as the valid pair azure & or, whereas red & green is exposed as the heraldically invalid colour-colour pair gules & vert.

However, whilst yellow is undoubtably or, it could be argued that orange should be considered tenné, a colour, making blue & orange azure & tenné, an invalid combination.

So:

heraldically valid heraldically dubious heraldically invalid
purple & yellow (purpure & or) blue & orange (azure & or / tenné) red & green (gules & vert)
4 Likes
heraldically valid
purple & yellow (purpure & or)

(As much as my deeply antimonarchy heritage allows)

I always knew I was nobility. flips hair

6 Likes

Are honeybees livestock?

  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like
  • ant spiders
  • spider ants

0 voters

1 Like

What is the question? Which does one prefer? In what sense?

From a linguistics perspective, I believe the two phrases refer to different things. A “spider ant” is an ant that looks like a spider, while an “ant spider” is a spider that looks like an ant.

7 Likes

Spider ant:

Ant spider:

I’m voting for the ant spider, they’re way cooler

7 Likes

I thought you were talking about this


image

3 Likes

What is the question? Which does one prefer?

yup

You’re right, ant spiders are cooler. But spider ants are a very cool type of ant, from their attractive colour scheme to their repletes and wingless queens.

See also AntsCanada’s discussion of ant crickets (timestamped):

And further here: https://youtu.be/yB-lmXz7mTw?t=580

Holy f. cow, this is even more terrifying than a pycnogonid.

1 Like

That episode is definitely not for arachnophobia people.

If you could choose a person to teach Go, what age would you prefer the poor subject of your torment to be?

  • 0-9
  • 10-19
  • 20-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60-69
  • 70-79
  • People who probably met Honinbo Shusai himself so I can ask for information

0 voters

Please post your why’s, if you’re so inclined.

1 Like