Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

I would think about some kind of Epic War movie, but Action War is close enough for me.

2 Likes

What about ā€œparanormal romanceā€? Like Twilight

:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

NO.
(And 10 characters)

3 Likes

Nobody sees the ā€œyour move-my moveā€ ā€œletā€™s get closerā€ and all the different names for approaching moves as the quintessential flirt?
No? Just me?

7 Likes

Soā€¦ are you trying further the case that it is just like Twilight?

1 Like

Twilight has as much chemistry in it as a linguistics studies curriculum.

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ some people seem to really love linguistics, and sometimes also play a game of Go

5 Likes

2 dans watching a 25k game doesnā€™t make it a dan game.

3 Likes

I canā€™t speak for others, but playing Go on a live board I feel as anxious as 007 defusing a ticking bomb.

5 Likes

How often do you defuse ticking bombs?

1 Like

How long is long enough to be allowed to talk spoilers?

• Right away
  • 24hours-ish
  • A week-ish
  • A year or so
  • Never

0 voters

3 Likes

Imho, itā€™s okay to talk spoilers if the other person has given consent to being spoilered. But you need to ask first, no matter how much time has passed.
Well, maybe itā€™s okay if itā€™s about something you know for sure the other person(s) will never watch / read anyway.

7 Likes

Well, I donā€™t think itā€™s plausible to spend our time asking for consent to share information that is not harming the other person.
I mean, if I want to write something that spoils the fact that Bran became King of the Six Kingdoms two years and approximately 7 billion posts/ videos/ tweets later, do I really need to ask consent from all the potential readers of this post?
Or should I be lynched if I forget to put a spoiler tag?
I personally think thereā€™s a reasonable amount of time to expect other people to cryptically hush-hush discuss pop culture, and itā€™s a bit entitled to expect everyone to stay silent forever, in case said person might decide to watch a series someday.

(oooh, strong feelings in the polls :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming that the question is in the context of without warning nor consent. I answered about a year or so, but I think it is really a bit flexible, however long until it is generally accepted that the work is within public consciousness and people have generally had enough time to consume such work, if they cared.

Without such an limitation, how could anyone wear shirts that say or jokingly utter stuff like ā€œLuke, I am your fatherā€ (i.e., in a deep Vader voice. Note: also a common misquotation) or ā€œHan shot firstā€ or ā€œTeam Jacobā€ (giving away that a live triangle would form) or ā€œyouā€™re a wizard, Harryā€ or ā€œitā€™s made of people! Soylent green is made of people!ā€. Similarly, people may often snowclone these phrases (replacing a word or two, using them like a linguistic meme), taking advantage of how well known the originals are. Although such phrases are spoilers, they are also well known enough to be part of our cultural consciousness and used as expressions, by making reference to well known creative works.

At the end of the day, itā€™s not such a big deal to spoil things. Itā€™s just a discourtesy and not a crime against humanity.

3 Likes

I think the largest problem with spoilers is when they come out of nowhere, and you have no way to dodge them. At least give an introductory sentence that mentions that youā€™re talking about so-and-so, from which it is immediate that there may be spoilers following.

The worst kind of spoiling is what my mother sometimes does, where her story goes like ā€œI watched a good movie the other day, I forgot the title but it was about [[ insert major premise of the filmā€™s ending ]], oh yeah, I remember, itā€™s called X.ā€

3 Likes

Even phrases like ā€œTrojan horseā€ or ā€œAchilles heelā€ can be considered spoilers, but no one objects to using those.

I firmly believe that there is a statute of limitations on these things.

5 Likes

I had to google that one.

How am I supposed to get consent in that? If Iā€™m talking with a coworker (not now, when the world still functioned) about Bran, and another coworker butts in to scream that Iā€™m spoiling the end, or if I want to meme into a forum conversation the Kassandra in a suit thing, how would that work?

If Iā€™m talking with a friend, I probably know what they watch or donā€™t watch, so obviously I wonā€™t blurt out things out of nowhere, and Iā€™m also not going to blurt out of nowhere that Dexter kills his sister and leaves the next day after the finale aired in a social conversation without a lead-in, but if two people end up saying ā€œdid you see that?!ā€ ā€œoh, yeah, that thing happened!!ā€, is everyone around entitled to scream ā€œspOilersSS!!!ā€?

At some point, we should be allowed to just talk, you know? How much conscious of what I say must I be about things that aired/ were published years ago?

2 Likes

Youā€™re allowed to talk, all Iā€™m suggesting is to first mention the series / film / book youā€™re going to talk about before starting the spoiler.

Like Iā€™m not reading your above post, since I know your GoT spoiler came unexpectedly (which I donā€™t really care about), but have no idea if youā€™re spoiling other things that I do actually plan to watch.

2 Likes

Iā€™d rather talk how Iā€™m supposed to, and not mechanically add extra information everywhere because someone might be slightly offended, thank you.

I take it you have turned off your internet since forever and watch nothing on TV and wear noise-cancelling headphones everywhere, in case you sometime in the future want to watch Se7en?

After a certain amount of time, itā€™s not a spoiler. Itā€™s a thing that exists.

1 Like

Itā€™s not about being offended, itā€™s about ruining someoneā€™s experience of something you like enough to want to discuss it, why not let that other person have their experience? Itā€™s just rude putting the blame at others for not having watched something immediately.

Well yes, I tend to either stop watching / reading when something appears that Iā€™m interested in but havenā€™t seen / read yet.

4 Likes