Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

It’s a bit similar to how a high school science teacher is not a scientist.

4 Likes

Perhaps, if they mostly derive their income from a platform like OnlyDans

8 Likes

Do professional Go streamers/YouTubers exist?

I mean are there people that derive most of their income from Go streaming/YouTubing, and make a living wage while doing so?

What are some examples?

I don’t really know. I’m sure that teaching provides a large proportion of the income of almost any “professional” Go streamer, but then that also provides a lot of income to “traditional professionals”.

And if you’re streaming the teaching games or reviews, is the retail of the lesson a part of the streaming income or still something separate?

2 Likes

You need an M.S. or M.A. in my country to teach high school, which kinda does make you a scientist in a broad sense.

1 Like

First I went with “Go professional (who also streams)”, but for these, you need a certificate or something, or go to tournaments. The quality of your Go should be controlled and confirmed by others professionals. Now I go with “Professional streamer of Go”.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure.
My belief is that people like Dwyrin could make a living wage out of youtubing and derived things such as:

• having a Patreon page
  • giving private lessons and reviews
  • selling merchandise

which can collect money thanks to the visibility and acknowledgement due to YouTube channel.

I actually don’t know how to call those people.
I’d go with Go youtubers, hence I voted for Go streamers.

3 Likes

Almost no category in those mediums makes all the money just from viewers/ adsense. Sponsorships and other streams of revenue (in this case, lessons for example) are also usually taken into account, even for the more prominent creators.

Also, fun fact, dwyrin started as a gamer Youtuber, iirc. So, professional Youtuber in any case, with a community change.

4 Likes

I’d like to know how this change took place.

1 Like

He has an anniversary video about 10 years on YT or something like that, the road so far.

2 Likes

I checked his oldest video about Go: it’s a lecture on low Chinese fuseki done on KGS and then published on YouTube.
So it seems he was already good at Go before starting his channel.
Of course I can only see videos that are still published. Maybe he deleted some. Or his previous history as youtuber could be on another channel, I don’t know.

doesn’t mean he didn’t already know Go, only that his videos were “gamer Youtube community”.

1 Like

Yep.

It was my fantasy about a gamer that turned into go player. :smile:

I found this:

I can’t watch it immediately but I can’t wait! :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: @Gia you nailed it! That’s the video you were talking about and it says everything I wanted to know. Bam! Easy peasy! I’ll take it! :smile:

4 Likes
  • knight’s moves
  • knights’ moves

0 voters

ie. do multiple keima have to be made by multiple knights? Is there one imaginary knight tracing out each individual knight’s move? Or is the knight’s move “a move such that would be made by a knight, that knight not being required to actually appear to make this one”?

This feels like a new high (low?) for Go-related pedantry.

And on this note:

• keima
  • keimas
  • keimae

0 voters

2 Likes

Iirc small Knights are called small because they need ladders, right? :kappa:

2 Likes

I’d say knight’s moves unless I specifically mean two (or more) knights moving, and want to point to those moves.

2 Likes

keimata.

4 Likes
Should the opposite of aji-keshi be called aji-cash? (Ya’ know when, when you cash in the aji?)
  • Yes
  • No
  • Tenuki
  • Talk honte noob (Pedant’s option)

0 voters

1 Like

Since I made this poll, I’ve been coming around to the (pseudo-)genitive plural, knights’ moves.

An identical choice exists in tiger’s mouths vs. tigers’ mouths.

1 Like

What about “tiger mouths” and “knight moves”? Those sound reasonable to me too.

Do people also simply say “tiger mouth” and “knight move” for the singular form?

4 Likes