Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Aah ok, so just a moderate one… Still amusing :sweat_smile: language is weird and entertaining haha

2 Likes

Nothing, but an omega prick is pretty funny to me

5 Likes

Actually, I’ve had numerous instances where I was speaking perfectly normal Dutch (no profanities at all) to my opponent on a go server, only to have my chat blocked by some English profanity filter. I’d have to rephrase my chat to get it through.

5 Likes

You can also get blocked while writing normal English, if you made a typo. Someone wanted to write “count” but forgot the “o”.

3 Likes

A word that is often blocked is “negro”, that means simply “black” in Spanish but “nigger” in Italian.
I also happened to see “ho” blocked, which in Italian means “(I) have”

4 Likes

Negro (when used to refer people) is also quite offensive in American English. However, there is also a large Spanish speaking population in the USA, so it’s also commonly seen in Spanish contexts with just the generic and nonoffensive meaning of the color black.

6 Likes

I have no idea how I found this, and I have no idea what thread it belongs in, but why let it go to waste?

4 Likes

Or so you’d think … I think last year there was a very funny incident where an american youtuber was watching/reacting to some Eurovision contest and she was very offended when it was the turn of the country Montenegro (Black Mountain) :roll_eyes:

It was quite a shock to her to learn that such a country exists and I think she said something along the lines of “did those racists name the country like that just to insult us??” meanwhile the country/area has been named like that since 1300+ ( a couple of centuries before Colombus was born ) while the mountain has probably been “black” for waaaaay more :stuck_out_tongue:

Imagine if you sent her a Go book in Spanish. :innocent:

3 Likes

I didn’t have to, but also this is so characteristic of the situation.

1 Like

Oh, this is VERY good:

the potential for misunderstandings is just off the charts :innocent:

3 Likes

How would you define Russian go players?

• Players born in Russia
  • Players who are Russian citizens (Russian only)
  • Players with double citizenship, including the Russian one
  • Russian residents
  • Players subscribed to RGF
  • Players subscribed to RGF and not to any other EGF member

0 voters

How possible do you find an incident at your country’s borders soon enough? (invaded and/ or invading)

• No way, things are stable here, it would take something extraordinary
  • I didn’t think about it before, but now I’m contemplating, maybe as a result of general unrest
  • Somewhat possible, neighbors are neighbors
  • We’re featuring heavily on betting sites

0 voters

2 Likes

yes

in chinese too but it is this 缪米

Omnacron

Inspired by an argument in the other thread… In theory (and in baduk) it makes sense to kill 1000 people to save 2000 people. In practise it is impossible to predict how many are saved but for the sake of argument lets assume the prediction is 100% accurate. A cold rational leader would kill those people. But what if you were the one dying? Assume that you’re in perfect health and have plenty of lifetime remaining. Then the poll is

Would you volunteer to die in order to save 2+ other people?

• Yes (to save any random unknown people)
  • Yes but to save only people belonging to certain group(s)
  • Yes but to save only my own family
  • Maybe? It’s more complicated
  • Probably no
  • Definitely no

0 voters

1 Like

Which is the most important

• Not having close family that are jerks
  • Not having extended family that are jerks
  • Not having coworkers that are jerks
  • Not having superiors/ bosses that are jerks

0 voters

Depends on the day, but still.

4 Likes

Spotted this while walking…

(Neither of them are mine, but ‘K.F.’, I doff my hat to you)

So…

Is it art?
  • Yep
  • Nope

0 voters

4 Likes

Not necessarily “museum art”, but I find comedic timing an art.

1 Like

Imgur

6 Likes