Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

I thought this was just the British spelling

4 Likes

Would you say those are examples of ā€œrecyclingā€?

imagesĻĪµĻˆ

• yes, absolutely
  • no, absolutely not
  • only the chair
  • only the planters

0 voters

What chair? I see only a dinosaur spine and three treants.

6 Likes

Just ā€œhashā€

I actually didnā€™t realise it was a chair until Iā€™ve seen that written! :smile:
I thought it was some sort of sculpture

1 Like

Does playing roughly 4-5 corr moves a day count as playing a live game per week and/or as regular practice?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Yes, with caveats that would be too tedious to read.

"and/or" musings from my wake up monologue earlier this morning.

I reckon that centuries of Christianity may have given most individuals and institutions a default ā€œORā€ mentality. Itā€™s either ā€œthisā€ or else itā€™s ā€œthatā€ (plethora of examples omitted for brevity). Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s wrong, just that there are other ways of thinking that may be considered. Inclusivity appears to be an ā€œANDā€ mentality which is why the Orists object. People are weird af :smiley: (these have been random musings inspired by, but not in direct response to Giaā€™s ā€œand/orā€)

2 Likes

A live 19x19 game has on average 125 moves per player, thatā€™s about 18 moves/day on average if you play 1 game/week.

Yes, I know, it wasnā€™t a math question.
More of a ā€œdoes regular corr moves count as good as one live for practiceā€.

inb4 to the usual crowd that will jump in to say ā€œthen YoU ShOULd have SAid THaTā€, please donā€™t, Iā€™m too tired as it is.

1 Like

I answered no, not because of time per move, but because corr seems qualitatively not something I learn much from in comparison to live

2 Likes

I meant that 4-5 corr moves a day represents much less time than 1 live game/week, so my answer is: no, 4-5 moves a day is far from enough to improve at the game. Even 18 moves/day, corresponding to 1 live game/week, is not much.

2 Likes

Would you say many corr games (I donā€™t know, 100 per day) would be good practice, even without live games at all? Or live games are better, even if overall time spent might be more in corr?

Iā€™m guessing a ā€œcomplete storyā€ on the board each time has its merits for many reasons, on the other hand ā€œforcingā€ you brain to catch up and always have fresh eyes is also good, for different reasons?

When playing games you

• apply your knowledge: josekis, tesujis, various techniques you learned from books, lectures, your experience or from watching other peopleā€™s games;
  • practice reading (mostly life and death but not only);
  • practice counting, determining which move is biggest.

All of the above can be achieved with live, or with correspondence games, so in this regard, 100 correspondence moves/day would be good enough practice to improve. However, playing only correspondence has some limitations:

• The feedback loop is longer. If a correspondence game lasts 3 months, and you make a mistake at move 30, you wonā€™t be aware of that for 3 months and may repeat the same mistake in many other games during that period. Unless you play fast correspondence.
  • You wonā€™t practice time management and stress management.

On the other hand, playing only live games may also be detrimental to quality of play, if you play too fast and rely on your opponent making a blunder.

So Iā€™d say, do what you enjoy and what you can, but if possible

• either play both, with a majority of live games
  • or play only live games, but make sure you play slow games on a regular basis.
4 Likes

I see.
I was considering upping my corr games because Iā€™m missing the practice, but Iā€™m convinced to opt for trying to fit in at least one live game per week in my schedule and just keep the corr games as they come.

3 Likes

I think that both live and correspondence games count as practice. However, whether or not one is more effective than the other depends more upon the individual, I think. Some might find one to elicit more deep thinking than the other. Personally, I feel that correspondence gives more chances to study a game more deeply, with the effect of almost reviewing as I play. However, an aspect missing from correspondence games is practice at performing under the time pressure of a live game clock, and working on the endurance of playing an entire game in one sitting.

4 Likes

I think my most important problem with live games is that I lose view of the whole board, which ironically I would position in the ā€œcorr games problemsā€ column as a rule (since itā€™s more difficult to get into the mindset you had when you played hours or days ago).

1 Like

The whole board may be complexā€¦ But at least, maybe try to keep track of your weaknesses and your opponentā€™s weaknesses at any time.

1 Like

0vn62q4t2sy91~2

Which is the best fry?
  • Standard
  • Waffle
  • Crinkle
  • Tater Tots
  • Curly
  • Sweet Potato
  • Steak Cut
  • Smiley
  • Home Fries

0 voters

2 Likes

I need some clarification on the home fries, I donā€™t think itā€™s what we mean here and I canā€™t make out the picture.

1 Like

Iā€™d argue that it has nothing to do with Christianity, since even the ancient Greeks, in particular the stoic philosophers that founded an antique version of propositional logic, preferred an exclusive disjunction over an inclusive one, more than three centuries before the start of Christianity.

If I had to wager, the blame should lie with linguistics instead of religion.

1 Like