Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Orange and lemon, I wouldn’t eat the peel as part of eating the fruit, but I use either as seasoning, or both are good confitured.

Carrots just need a good wash. Potato skins are quite refreshing in taste, but you need fresh potatoes; old potatoes get peeled.

I’m not sure who on earth peels blueberries, that sounds crazy to me.

8 Likes

I was expecting that as one of the control options, highly likely to be selected.

However, it seems that both @Gia and @Cchristina have not selected that one. Could you please clarify?

1 Like

Peeling grapes is the standard in Japan, by the way. I haven’t met a Japanese person who eats the whole grape, yet.

4 Likes

I sometimes eat raw carrots with the peel, but most of the time I cook them without the peel.

3 Likes

It depends on the kind of grape, doesn’t it?

Kiwi skins are fun to eat though maybe hard to clean well.

2 Likes

Am I the only person here who has had pickled watermelon rinds?

Also mango skins are perfectly delightful

4 Likes

I didn’t realize what the emoji was :woman_shrugging:t2:

They’re not a common fruit here

ETA I’m not really a fruit person, I love vegetables tho

2 Likes

This sounds like a trick question. If it’s called the “peel”, it means it has already been peeled off? But then why would you peel a fruit then eat the peel anyway?

2 Likes

I wrote “skin/peel” to capture the notion that for some fruits and vegetables one of those words might be more commonly used than the other.

Maybe in some cases, people might only eat the peel.

For the orange and lemon, I suppose it could make sense. The hard coloured skin is good, but the white part inbetween the skin and the flesh is quite bitter. So one might want to separate the coloured skin from the flesh, in order to be able to peel the white part off.

1 Like

I have, and they were delicious. But I can’t say I eat them regularly since that was 30 years ago!

Peel may be subject to some different preparation to be eaten.

2 Likes

Which animals do you consider as “pets”?

• cat
  • dog
  • goldfish
  • turtle
  • hen
  • parrot
  • goat
  • nightingale
  • iguana
  • spider
  • rabbit

0 voters

I was reading some articles about it and many of them mentionned that “tamed” animals, such as goldfish or canaries, should not be considered as “pets”. However, they didn’t exclude snakes or iguanas by name.

To me, it is even more confusing because “κατοικίδια” is translated as “pets” but it could also be “cattle”. I certainly don’t see a parrot as cattle but neither can I see a hen as a companion animal in the same way as a cat or dog.

Cats and dogs are sort of “un-wildised” (?), not really tamed, but iguanas and goldfish and parrots are generally tamed. You can’t go to your neighbour and adopt a baby iguana the way you adopt a kitty!

Also, when people talk about the benefits of having a pet, they generally refer to companionship and outdoors activity (cats, dogs), they don’t refer to watching a goldfish going round and round or keeping giant eight-legged things next to your printer.

ETA
Of course I forgot to make votes public… :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

What were the characteristics of a pet according to them?
I voted on the basis of two things:
A) it can stay in your house or at the very least in your garden
B) it can understand who you are and for a bond with you

but other people might have other criteria.

1 Like

Pet as in κατοικιδιο, which includes both companion animals and cattle: “They are given shelter by the human, usually a roof, they are fed and cared for by the human and are used for a profession (eg donkeys, horses), for company (eg dogs), for their utility (eg cats, dogs) or for food by a human. They are not tamed wild animals (eg fish, songbirds) but domesticated animals.” I guess they exclude tamed animals because of the circus animals.

Personally, I can’t see what kind of bond you can have with a spider or a shark or a snake, but many people consider them “pets”.

1 Like

I didn’t answer the poll because I don’t really know from what angle to approach it.

Is it purely a language issue? Or is it about which animals I would personally want as a pet? Or about which animals I could imagine someone else want as a pet?

In French, the English word “pet” would typically be translated to one of:

• “animal de compagnie”, literally an animal that keeps company;
  • “animal domestique”, literally an animal that lives in the house;
  • or just “animal”, if context already makes it clear and no more specification is needed.

In English, I believe the noun “pet” comes from the verb “pet”, which appears to presume an animal that you can stroke/caress. By this definition, a spider could possibly be a pet, but a fish probably couldn’t. Of course the meaning of “pet” has extended beyond its origin.

What is the meaning of “should” in this sentence?

Is it a question of legal vocabulary? Or is it because if I consider some animal as a pet, I might be deceiving myself about my relationship with this animal, for instance persuading myself that a lizard is emotionally attached to me when it really only cares about my bodyheat?

2 Likes

The poll is about what each one of you would consider as a pet. Is it cats and dogs or is it lion cubs and baby vipers?

I mentionned the other translations because κατοικία = domicile and the lines get blurry if I think of it literally.

When I talk about pets, I usually mean the cat and dog variation and maybe fish or a parrot, because this is the image I have in my mind.

When a shop owner or an importer or an eccentric talk about pets, they probably include creatures I don’t want to think they could feel a bond with me :scream:

Which is worse

• Die in gote
  • Write typos in your " h’ello, harve fun ? " message to your opponent

0 voters

4 Likes

gflh

3 Likes

Good f*ing luck, homie

7 Likes