Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

You should get an increased counter if it’s your turn at least. And a site notification like for any starting game.
Games are included in your usual correspondance games list. When you open one it has a mention/link to the ladder which helps to know what is what.
Myself i never used email notifications.

1 Like

Nope, which is why I’m mentioning it.

Do these exist for correspondence? I don’t think I’ve seen them, but I mostly play ladders and tournaments.

1 Like

When a game is ended and both players have passed, but not yet accepted the score: is it better etiquette for the winning player to wait for the losing player to accept the score?
For me it feels more respectful to wait until the losing player has accepted the score.
What do you think?

1 Like

I usually defer to the stronger player, but now that you mention it, if I win I usually unconsciously wait at least a few seconds for the other player to accept.

I think since the new GUI has been activated for everyone, the notification system has been a bit buggy. I’m not sure, but I’ve heard people saying they weren’t receiving notifications anymore.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the question, but it kinda makes me feel like maybe I’m misunderstanding how OGS scoring works.

I was under the impression that both players needed to accept the score.

Both players have to accept the score.
My question is about just before both players have accepted the score.
It is not about how OGS scoring works.

I wondered about who accepts the score first: the winner or the loser.
To me it seems polite if the winner waits a few seconds for the loser to accept before accepting themselves.

I observed that I did the same as

Just wondered how other players felt about this.

I try to accept as fast as possible! I don’t like how OGS makes me wait five seconds or whatever extra if the other person accepts first :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh is that what happens? That’s a good rule! That means you don’t accept an incorrect result that was changed at the last minute

1 Like

Changing anything already resets the timer, so I don’t see the point of a new delay after accepting an unchanged score.

I remember on KGS there was some tension during scoring because some players did change the status of groups, hoping to change the status a fraction of second before their opponent clicked “accept”.

1 Like

Are you generally a tidy person?

• Even my dust particles are in order.
  • I’m tidy enough.
  • I’m a bit messy, but I can tidy up if needed.
  • No, it wasn’t a hurricane, it’s always like this.

0 voters

2 Likes

How do you feel when you are asked to give a customer review for a service? The “they say about us” type.

• I find it really annoying and spammy as a customer, I would never do it.
  • Why not? That’s what networking is supposed to be like.
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

It really depends.
If it’s a service I really appreciated, I tend to recommend anyway, if it’s something standard I don’t think it qualifies for an endorsement.

1 Like

How many Go sets have you owned in your life so far?

• 2-4
  • 5-10
  • 11+

0 voters

Somehow I end up buying new Go sets quite regularly while travelling…

5 Likes

A surprisingly wide variety, I must say!

What exactly counts as a Go set? And how does one count and add up partial Go sets?

Is just stones plus a board enough to be counted as a Go set? What if those two things are not of compatible sizes? What if someone has three sets of stones, but only one board? What about improvised objects that could be used as a Go set?

5 Likes

I guess enough to play a game of Go. If you own n go sets, you can have 2n people playing n games simultaneously in separate rooms.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting way to define it, and it makes a lot of sense to use an operational definition like this. However, it raises some additional questions, regarding how many stones are needed for playing a game. I guess that the provision of saying “separate rooms” is to forbid sharing of stones between each pair of players playing a game?

Suppose you have 1000 identical white stones, 1000 identical black stones, and 50 identical 19x19 gobans (that properly fit the stones). How many Go sets are there? Or rather, how many simultaneous games could one setup with those? Trying to play 50 parallel games would be too much (giving each player only 20 stones), but 5 (or maybe 6) parallel games should be feasible. I guess we would have to take a statistical approach to this question, such as asking how many parallel games could we start, if we accept up to 5% risk of running out of stones in one of the games.

If we allow all of the players to lend and borrow stones (in order to make up for any shortages that might arise from longer games), then that should increase the number of parallel games that we could confidently support. I think allowing lending would make the statistical analysis a bit more complicated, since one could account for some games ending earlier, freeing up stones for other games that run longer. Maybe it could even be possible to simultaneous start 10+ games, while still keeping a reasonably high likelihood of having enough stones.