Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Well, in that case you could argue that you have hundreds of Go sets, as long as you can find enough players who are willing to use their phone to play.

Trying to put technical definitions on soft questions is like starting a discussion about classifying tomatoes as fruit or as vegetables under a recipe for tomato soup. It’s quite irrelevant for making the soup.

Well, I think it’s kind of an interesting question in its own right, and not meant to really detract from your original question. I think that in most cases, the concept of counting Go sets is clear to most people, but just like the rules of Go, there could be some interesting edge cases to also consider.

1 Like

If two people living together have bought a go set to play at home, do they own 1 go set each or 0.5 go set each?

5 Likes

I think the important part is the board. You can substitute the stones if you only have the grid, but you’d have to make the grid if you only have the stones.

2 Likes

If you have paper and pencil, could you affirm to own a go set? :innocent:

3 Likes

What about a sufficient quantity of sand that could be spread on the ground with enough space to draw a grid and symbols over it?

2 Likes

I do wonder if any dynastic emperor was deranged enough to carve a goban on the back of a slave.

1 Like

Consider this replacement for the ko rule:

If a board position ever repeats, white wins.

How many handicap stones would you be willing to give to black (against an equal opponent), to get this superpower as white?

• Less than 1 stone
  • 1 stone
  • 2 stones
  • 3 stones
  • 4 stones
  • 5 stones
  • 6 stones
  • 7 stones
  • 8 stones
  • 9 stones
  • More than 9 stones

0 voters

(19x19 board, 0.5 komi)

1 Like

White can live with false eyes, like such for example:

Moreover, all the usual 1/2 point endgames turn into 1 point endgames, since White does not need to defend many single stones in atari during endgame, gaining an extra point of territory in positions like this:

I guess the endgame alone easily gives White about 10 points extra, and then there’s the extra ease of living by creating a ko.

5 Likes

An idea for a balanced variant with deadly ko:

If a board position repeats and the last stone is in a black shaded area, Black wins, and if it is in a white shaded area, White wins. No move made in an unshaded area (one of the centre lines) is allowed to repeat a previous board position.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s crazy powerful! Especially because of the extra ways of living, I think it’s worth much more than 3 stones. But of course it’s hard to say without testing it out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I also think it’s worth more the stronger the players are.

1 Like

Very possible! I considered having two polls, one for “your level” and one for perfect play, but I figured the question was hard enough as it is, without having to imagine perfect play for a new variant :grin:

1 Like

Select the option which best describes your response to the following statement:
“Your current thought is less than 1 1/1000th of all your thoughts up until this moment.”

• Near enough to true
  • Near enough to false
  • It doesn’t work like that, we only ever have one thought
  • Your poll is subversive somehow, even if I can’t quite place my finger on it
  • Other

0 voters

To the nearest order of magnitude, I have been conscious for about 1 billion seconds during my life.
I’m not sure how to count thoughts exactly, but I feel that most of my thoughts last only a few seconds, and there may be a few semi-conscious thoughs vying for “neuron cycles” at any single moment. So as an order of magnitude, I estimate my current thought is about 1 billionth of my thoughts up until this moment.

6 Likes

That’s a question I never thought I’d have.

Also, top comment belongs there.

1 Like

Is that including all the thoughts that pass through your head? Or only the ones that originate there?

2 Likes

Do you know what passes through the head of someone who falls from the 13th floor?

Wasn’t that an old “black humor” joke?
“on the way, it is hard to tell, but eventually, the pavement.”

2 Likes

01:29 local time, I’ve been mulling this over for several hours; someone on the internet is wrong, how could one sleep? The conclusion may be valid, but the reasoning used is flawed; I intend to demonstrate this in the eventual future with the use of thought experiments. [placed on slow cooker. I believe they’re incorrect for more reasons than originally realized]

1 Like