Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Is tsumego boring?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

2 Likes

I don’t have the discipline for it, but I don’t find it boring.

5 Likes

https://www.101weiqi.com/
if I fail tsumego, I choose random tsumego of 1 level weaker
if I solve tsumego on 1st try, I choose random tsumego of 1 level harder
started at 15k, not even once solved 1d level tsumego after 1400+ of iterations
green is separate 100 average - in the last 200 level is same as in iterations 300-400

7 Likes

Sounds like what goproblems.com does automatically

April 1st

After thousands of tsumego and no progress I finally realized: capture mechanics in go are actually too simple and boring. Stones can’t move and there is only 1 type of them. While in Chess there are many types of pieces, they can move and some of them can even transform! Solving checkmate puzzles is much more fun after all.

3 Likes

I salute your wisdom to turn to chess.

I reduce one point for not rickrolling with the link.

3 Likes

How do you use Ctrl+I for italics?

• Ctrl with left hand, I with right.
  • Both with left hand.
  • Both with right hand.
  • I use the mouse and go to menu.

0 voters

• Caps with left hand, I with right.
  • Shift with left hand, 8 with right.
1 Like

I’m on a phone so I type *italics* for italics.

2 Likes

I push that button (i forgot quickly how to use **)

2 Likes

Philosophical question:

How do you call a person who promises a bonus to all the employees for A, but then says “I expected B and didn’t get it, so no bonus for A”?

Open-ended, replies in all languages encouraged.

4 Likes

Various nasty things, but if I were to be honest I’d call him:

• someone that knows that his employees won’t quit over this.

It is the worst kind of leadership which always has as a result resentment, lack of effort, lack of passion for the end-result, employees that “run the clock” and lack of any individual drive to perform better or innovate at any given task/work.
It is a kind of leadership which everyone is urged to avoid, unless they are money-hungry cretins that would like to change their company to a “revolving door” in order to save up some crumbs (which they will have to pay to the HR to constantly find them and train them new “recruits”).

So, unsurprisingly, it is a very common practice and widely beloved by people in power that lack any charisma, brains or scruples (or a combination of those), which is quite a lot of them (at least here).

This re-inforces the “they are not going to quit over this” feeling of security those imbeciles have, because we all know here that chances are, the next boss is going to be the same kind of person or worse.

Unless the cities start emptying and the villages reclaiming some population, those kind of idiots will keep prospering and the rent will keep getting more expensive, turning “work in the city” a barely survivable experience which a lot of young people, oddly, seem to still seek out.

P.S.
I was looking at rent in Athens for a friend that has a job offer there.
500 euro for a small depressing 25square meters cave? So, if you add utility bills and heating and transportation and food you are up to 900 euros (if you eat cheap junk) and the salary can be below 1000 after taxes. And people keep signing up for that scam? And they call that “having ambition”? :sweat_smile:
Meanwhile, on the unskilled labour farm work, the minimum salary is starting to hit 35/40 euros per day, just for the worker. If you can buy a small chainsaw and some farming tools you can charge 70 euros per day to clean out yards and fields. Even if you work 5 days per week, that’s 700 euros monthly at worst and if it is your village, you have no rent or transportation expenses to pay.

If everything crashes down I know I am getting my trusty spade, instead of the bus to Athens or some other city, and that’s for sure. Heck, even lighting candles at the graveyard (for foreigners: Yes, it is an actual job) makes more money than going to work in the city, what’s wrong with people that want to move there nowadays?

3 Likes

If the child has a learning disability, the parent should

• absolutely hide it from everyone, it is a disgrace to have such a child
  • let the teacher find out, if ever
  • test if the teacher can find out
  • notify the teacher so that they can help the child together
  • ignore the whole thing, the child is just lazy
  • ignore the whole thing, it’s the teacher’s problem
  • our grandparents’ generation didn’t fuss with their kids’ moods and they grew up alright

0 voters

2 Likes

This should be a guessing game, and what we believe should happen would look nothing like what actually happens.

2 Likes

Sneak peek at next week:

If the parent told the teacher that the child has a learning disability, the teacher should

2 Likes

Can you even hide it, nowadays? People know a lot more than in the past and they are very quick to notice. The parents divulging that info or the teacher being able to help or not are two very important problems, but they pale into comparison to the bigger problem, which is:
“What happens when your peers realise that you are even a second slower than they are.”

Kids can be very cruel to one another. More than most parents imagine (which always amazes me how having a kid seems to inflict them with sudden loss of memory of how their childhood was like and suddenly “kids are angels” … no they are not O_o ) and then the real trouble starts.

You can ignore a teacher or throw a tantum at your parents, but your fellow students of the same age? Can’t avoid those…

2 Likes
When the room is quiet and you go into yourself and listen, do you hear sound?
  • Never
  • Sometimes
  • Always

0 voters

1 Like

I hear “question not clear”

1 Like

Whats unclear about the question?

that doesn’t matter. That’s what I hear when read it