🎉 Introducing GoTV đŸ“ș

I don’t understand where I’m supposed to find this? The obvious option would be under the “Watch” option on the navbar, but it doesn’t seem to be there. I also can’t find it anywhere else. Where exactly is the “GoTV page on OGS”?

Sounds like you need to reload the page @Thunkd , if that doesn’t work try holding down the shift key while reloading to force a full reload.

2 Likes

It was visible for me on the right top once I typed in the specific url and loaded the page. I was as confused :smiley:

1 Like

@anoek I want to be clear, I am not against this feature. I just want to make sure it will not negatively effect streamers who make money from streaming. Features are fine but a lot of red flags go up when money is involved.

To several of your points, I honestly don’t know how Twitch will handle them. Ideally this will only help streamers I hope.

I feel like if any of your concerns come to fruition, it would be cause for a twitch issue report, not grounds to scrap this project.

8 Likes

I find this hilarious xD

1 Like

The goal here is to have a positive impact on matching streamers with viewers. I think a healthy streaming community is a good part of a healthy community overall, so that’s the goal here, to support that part of the Go community. It’s supposed to be good for you, it should have a positive impact on your viewer counts and thus revenue. If it doesn’t, let’s figure out why and iterate, simple as that.

Looking at stream counts today the numbers are looking good for Dwyrin and Gooplet, better than average. I’m assuming that today, with the launch of the new feature, we had some folks checking it out that might not otherwise, so we’ll have to wait and see how things look in a week or so, but so far so good.

13 Likes

This is so cool!! I actually got more engagement today while streaming than I think I’ve ever had before, so i really appreciate you doing this! It’s such a clean interface, too, which I really appreciate.

One question - is there an easy way to grab OGS chat messages from the API? If so, streamers could pretty easily incorporate it into their stream if they wanted to. But as per @Clossius1’s concerns, that might be more damaging to actual Twitch statistics for the streamer than it would be helpful. Either way, could be a cool thing to try out.

Honestly i think this specifically is what will hurt streamers more than anything else lol, bot accounts streaming 24/7 will probably discourage people from engaging with gotv on ogs in general

Anyway thank you so much for this awesome new feature!! I love it!

14 Likes

You know, when we were working through this it seemed logical to put ogs chat in there just for ease of use and whatnot. Using it today, I’m leaning more towards just using the twitch chat. We’ll look at things periodically over the next week and see how much use the OGS chat gets, if it’s actually useful and people like that then maybe it’s good to keep, otherwise we’ll just get rid of it and use twitch chat only. If we keep it, we’ll make an easy to use API or pop out box for y’all or something that makes sense.

Yeah, I think we’ll probably end up black listing that one.

13 Likes

Why is that hilarious?

This is a genuine question - I simply don’t know what you are talking about.

Unless you’re making fun of someone just starting out, for their low viewer count?

1 Like

The user in question is a bot account that streams 24/7, just replaying professional games. There are a couple like this that pop up off and on (eg TwitchPlaysGo), and I’m not sure whether they’re run by the same person.

Normally, people who regularly use Twitch can recognize that these are bot accounts, and just ignore them, and streams like this one end up having zero human viewers.

So the fact that it has 17 viewers is highly unusual, and entirely due to OGS GoTV

6 Likes

So that sounds like a “good proof of the effectiveness of this thing”.

What was funny?

The other stream right now (an actual person) has only 3 viewers

3 Likes

If you have a list (either here or PM) @RubyMineshaft is putting together a black list system to filter those out

4 Likes

I guess I’m not sure why exactly Clossius thought it was funny, but I’d guess just because it’s pretty shocking, from the perspective of somebody who’s familiar with Twitch Go viewership.

Bot content like this dilutes twitch, potentially takes away people from other streams, and sometimes turns people off of the Go category altogether (interested parties might look at the Go category, see that only this user is live, then never check again), so arguably its existence is rather harmful.

On GoTV, it’s at the top of the list, and my assumption is that users who navigate to gotv often wouldn’t have much idea what they’re looking at, would assume that this user’s content is pretty much all that they’d find there, then not bother again.

Hard to say for sure without observing things over the next few days/week whether this actually will have any meaningful impact.

Okay! The only other one I’m aware of is Twitch_Plays_Go_. I’ll PM Ruby if i notice any in the future!

5 Likes

Note: I’m totally new to Go streaming, a new user brought to you by GoTV.

So this is all news to me :slight_smile:

What I did find irritating is clicking on it and seeing “Sorry about this, we are preparing your stream”.

If we could filter those out it’d be nice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

aw well happy to have you joining the world of Go streaming! ^^

this is such a small issue, i’m just extremely bad at brevity when it comes to discussing any problem whatsoever. I don’t think it actually matters all that much haha

Welcome to OGF, you must be new here :wink:

5 Likes

I think this is just completely on Twitch’s end and has to do with however they’ve put together their infrastructure (and has nothing to do with the particular streamer). Kind of surprising in this day and age, but I guess just a reminder of the people behind the scenes manually switching around the intertubes.

2 Likes

I think it would be cool to see a streamer on OGS click on the GoTV button, and watch themselves stream

4 Likes

I saw exactly that happening yesterday.

3 Likes