Josekle 🟢⚪🟣🟢🟣

Right now, without input restrictions, one can just fill a rectangle without much thought for whether any moves are joseki.

However, to keep things interesting, one can choose to self-impose some restrictions, like a maximum move length or entering only joseki (or pseudo-joseki). It’s kind of like how “hard mode” is optional in Wordle.

On a separate note, what about truncating the board to show just the top-right quadrant. Maybe 10x10 would be enough to comfortably fit all solution joseki, or do we want to have more flexibility for more sprawling joseki?

5 Likes

Oh right, I somehow assumed that it was restricting guesses to the small number of included joseki, and that I just got super lucky so far having all my guesses accepted :rofl:

Restricting to a smaller quadrant would be nice, but 10*10 might be too small unfortunately:

4 Likes

Would 11x11 or 12x12 work?

3 Likes

I think restricting to 11x11 would cover almost everything (I’m having a hard time coming up with any other common and simple joseki that would go outside 10x10, anyone else got one?).

The displayed board should then preferably be at least 12x12, to leave some breathing room from the edge.

4 Likes

One joseki we added yesterday has stones on the 6th line of the other side. I don’t know whether it was removed already.

I was thinking of making the size of the board adjustable, either automatically growing, which would be a little bit tricky to implement, or with a button. But the size should be reduced, the board is way too big for almost all josekis and it’s far from ideal on mobile devices.

4 Likes
Josekle #5

:white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::purple_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

This was the first which I did not know, and not remember from the data collection. I think it would be really hard for those less experienced with joseki if there was a guess limit…

I think the off board hints worked this way? truncated at whichever is shorter, the input or solution, so limiting the info gained. in other words, what if you’re permitted to submit a longer joseki but you don’t get hints about moves after the length of the solution joseki?

If we were checking against a dictionary, I think the experience of “hmm is this joseki?” would be a good one.

I have a little React experience so could possibly help with that part. I started looking into calling OJE API from the current github pages app, but ran into CORS issues, the bane of amateur front end devs hacking together stuff :joy: anyone know much about that? is it possible the OJE API is not actually accessible from another site?

1 Like

I have no idea how the Joseki library works, or how the Josekle works, or how to go about joseki.

I’m going to go eat some chocolate now, me is sad. :crying face of a goddess goes here:

:slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

I felt like #5 was a bit unusual or uncommon, at least among my experiences, but looks like you were close?

2 Likes

Explorer I think gave no continuation, but I guess I can’t find it on the explorer. Or on my own…

3 Likes

wait just to check that there is not some bug here… it’s this right?

link to first 3 on OJE and screenshot

Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

3 Likes

This one was particularly tricky. I had to use OJE to figure it out.

3 Likes

It didn’t show any continuation after move 3 at all.

Now it does.

I think maybe my disconnection kicked in earlier that I noticed and it wouldn’t load the rest of the moves.

3 Likes

it does raise the issue of checking things via OJE API, the nice thing with Wordle is it’s all static data and no loading after you start … it would be nice to somehow have the same for Josekle

2 Likes

How is the problem chosen? In random? One of you inputs one for the day?

I have no idea how any of this works.

4 Likes

it’s semi random. there’s a list which I collected from OJE then shuffled and it uses the date to pick the same one for everybody

JonKo helped add some which I still need to filter for avalanche etc :scream:

3 Likes

Jossècl.

3 Likes

joe-seckel

2 Likes

Okay, added that option. I guess there’s a little more stress on the middle syllable than in “bicycle”.

2 Likes

how about hoe-zey-klee as in José? anyone?

2 Likes

/dʒo’sɛ.kļ/

4 Likes