Josekle 🟢⚪🟣🟢🟣

Yep, the share button seems to be broken.

Josekle #7

:purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle: Too few moves

:green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::green_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle: Impressive

2 Likes

share button should be fixed now

I recently noticed that what is “old” and “new”? If I see “new” underneath the arrows, does this mean I’m on new mode?

Eventually I’d like to add a link to OJE after you complete today’s puzzle

3 Likes

Yes I believe so anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Discord has been compromised. People are discussing and gasp learning joseki :scream:

My Discord server which started out as a Go server has slowly become more of a queer/ally hangout space with far less emphasis on Go than was originally intended (I’m totally fine with that though - plenty of dedicated Go Discord servers already) but after I posted about Josekle yesterday, it quickly overtook Wordle and variants in popularity and it makes me so happy

Thank you developers, this is chef’s kiss

6 Likes

wow thanks for sharing the screenshot(s) that’s amazing!!

:star_struck::partying_face:

3 Likes

That’s so awesome! Thanks for sharing that screenshot!

It looks like Josekle has the legs to go viral. What’s next? Seeing it trend on the Go subreddits? Going viral on Twitter? Blowing up on Instadan? NYT buy out?

I’ll just gently remind @okonomichiyaki, just in case…

5 Likes

big baduk bucks, here we come :moneybag::clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

@okonomichiyaki Great game! Just tried it out for the first time and got this:

If you ever need a hard mode, I can provide you with some variations of the Mi Yuting joseki :smiling_imp:

6 Likes
Josekle #8

:green_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

Worked again :slight_smile:

Although to be fair, all I knew was it was a 3-3 invasion and I just happened to guess right :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How do people feel about the need to hide length spoilers when posting results?

It seems like seeing the length of the emoji chains is just a very mild hint, and we even talked about the idea of revealing the length through the interface somehow (maybe by putting it after the puzzle number?). Not bothering to hide the emojis also gives a more eye-catching way to talk about it (for attracting new players) and it makes it easier to generate a platform-independent share text.

Should shared results openly show the emojis (revealing solution length)?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
  • Don’t care

0 voters

Should the game reveal the length of the solution?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
  • Don’t care

0 voters

Even though I didn’t fully count/take in

before I tried todays one, I’m pretty sure the idea that it was “short” helped me guess it in two.

I think I’d be happy enough with whichever way the vote goes. People can always add in the

[details]

or

||

or whichever to manually hide it I suppose. On platforms that don’t have a hidden syntax I don’t know how you’d get around it anyway, except by just telling the length of the solution as part of the game.

3 Likes

Have any of y’all tried explaining Josekle to y’all’r’s non-Go-playing friends yet? How did that go? My roommates all stared at me blankly except for the one who said “that’s the most neurodivergent thing I’ve ever heard of” :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Simply limiting the length of the guess to the length of the answer would also solve just covering the board and recognising the shape.

1 Like

I could have gotten the wrong idea, but isn’t the plan eventually to only allow guesses in a given Joseki database, like how Wordle only allows a certain set of words?

1 Like

I shared it with some friends who all play Wordle daily and they were a bit puzzled. One of them tried and reported that the emoji did not work on his phone which was helpful for me to debug but I’m sure confusing…

After I demo-ed it to a couple friends who at least know some rules of Go or have played, they understood the appeal, at least.

Yes, this is being explored…

2 Likes

I think it would be nice to have this as a feature, and currently @okonomichiyaki is working on using data from OJE to accomplish it.

However, I think that such a feature should be optional, since people might have different preferences on how they wish to play. Some might want it on just to force them to learn actual joseki. Some might want to leave it off to explore different ways to play the game.

I actually like how some degree of casual flexibility might reinforce the concept that it’s not a competition to post and compare results, but rather just a shared activity that people can discuss around. I really liked seeing @Gooplet’s Discord screenshot earlier, showing how much discussion about joseki was inspired by this game. Another analogy is like how “hard mode” is an option on Wordle, and no one really cares whether or not you use it.

I think that by revealing the solution length, the user would then have the flexible choice of whether or not they wish to enter joseki (or other sequences) that exceed that length. However, I don’t see it as a problem if the user prefers to get all of the purple hints first and just play it in one-color mode. In fact, @okonomichiyaki already even added a feature to play it in that mode (without having to waste the time to fill a rectangle): one-color mode Josekle (reveals all purple hints)

2 Likes
Josekle #8

:green_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

I’m all for giving players the flexibility to play the game how they want, but I also think the competitive aspect (being able to compare how well you did) is a nice part of the game (and that’s hard if everybody plays it differently).
So I think there should be some default mode, but also other options.

Currently the best strategy is to place stones everywhere on the first submission and then guess the correct sequence by the one-color-shape. But then just half the game is left to play.

As soon as guesses have to be known josekis, the best strategy will be to submit a very long joseki, that covers as much of the board as possible. That also takes out half the fun.

So I voted “Yes” on both questions. The solution’s length N could be disclosed right away, or by only providing feedback (emojis) for the first N moves.

5 Likes
Josekle #9

using one color mode :arrow_left: Note: this link provides all purple hints at the start

2 Likes

As I try josekle in both one color mode and the normal “try-and-error” way further down the roads, I don’t actually feel it is a good idea to reveal the length from others, since if one knows the length of the joseki to be super long, they know it must be one of the complex ones, but all with very different beginning sequence. I feel the one color mode will be more favored in this situation, instead of start from a somewhat short initial guess.

2 Likes
Josekle #9

:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

Love the new local storage to save view preferences.

1 Like