Kibitz for Diplomatic Go: The First Game

I love that circular hanezeki by Harry Fearnley.

I even created a topic in the past about it:

See this post for my detailed analysis.

In my earlier abstract example involving Alice, Bob, and Charlie, I was envisioning something like this:

Editable board

Where the players are:
whiteAlice
blackBob
redCharlie

If they all pass and go to scoring, then they might count redCharlie’s stones as dead and the rest of the stones as alive. This would give blackBob the win.

whiteAlice would want to claim that blackBob’s stones in the bottom right are dead, but needs the cooperation of redCharlie to accomplish that.

Thus, redCharlie could choose to help whiteAlice win instead of blackBob, and maybe he would wish to do that in order to spite blackBob. Alternative, he might wish to simply let blackBob win in order to spite whiteAlice.

However, given his position as the kingmaker, he could instead try to persuade both whiteAlice and blackBob to vote for the three-way draw, by threatening to punish whoever does not comply. If whiteAlice and blackBob are very risk averse, they may just readily comply with accepting a three-way draw.

However, yet again, maybe whiteAlice and blackBob really hate the idea of redCharlie weaseling their way into a draw in this way, denying either of them from getting win, so maybe they might both refuse to accept a draw, and simply tell redCharlie to pick a winner at random. This could make sense, if both whiteAlice and blackBob would rather prefer a 50% win, 50% loss lottery to a 100% three-way draw outcome.

3 Likes